MG-60 inline fuel filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which diesel engine?

The stock lift pump on 98.5-02 cummins motors is under enough strain as is..

If you are serious about filtering, I would get a FASS system, or equivilant.. No more lift pump problems, AND filtering.

Good question. It works wonderfully. I use it on my 2002 Duramax with a Cat 2 micron first then the Motorguard M-60 and then the oem filter. With the three my fuel is well shall we say, 'clean'.

Further when I replaced the motorguard element which was TP Scott 1000 it was clean on the outgoing end and darkened on the incoming end.

I did decide to get viton seals for the center as Buna will not stand up to the solvency of diesel fuel.

Dale

I have done a bunch of 7.3s. I started with putting the TP filter between the fuel pump and stock filter on the old Powerstrokes with the diaphram pump on top of the engine. I got tired of removing that little short hose and watching fuel run out of the stock filter. On the newer ones I started installing the Motor Guard back of the fuel pump and letting the pump pull the fuel thru the filter. I figured that would protect the pump and keep the filter clean. These are commercial vehicles and they seem to be happy.
The best way is to install a fuel pressure gauge to make sure the injection system is getting enough fuel pressure. I believe the Fords have a very good fuel pumps. It all depends on the fuel pump. I have some Dodge Cummins owners that are investing in big kick butt fuel pumps. I have a 15 PSI pump on my old 6.9. I tossed the old diaphram pump. The MG-60 is for people that want a very strong mount where there is no room to lift the top off a MG-30 but plenty of room to lower the bottom half on the MG-60. All that is needed is room to reach and loosen the tee handle. They can also be converted to ATF filtration. Reach in the outlet and drill a element bypass orifice into the center section. When Motor Guard designed the MG-60 I don't think they realized that they were designing a superior lube and fuel filter. It was designed for clean and dry compressed air. The old Motor Guard M-100 was the best lube oil filter ever made. At some time about 30 years ago they decided the future was in compressed air submicronic filtration. It took someone like me to bring them back as a lube oil filter. Most of the old lube oil and fuel filter people are gone now.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I purchased the MG-60 from Ralph a while ago for my home heating system that uses #2 heating oil. The fitler actually supplies both the furnace and my hot water heater and it has no problems flowing enough oil to keep both units running fine. Also, the system has a return line so there is actualy alot of oil flowing through the filter in a "loop" type circuit. There was a definite improvement in the sound of the burner and the soot and smoke from the chimmney is gone. When I change the filter it is black and full of small carbon like pieces, also the oil tank is brand new so #2 oil must be very dirty. The old filter was never dirty and the element use to cost me about $9.00, now all I do is replace a roll of TP every few months and I'm good to go. If you have a fuel oil heating system you have to get one of these filters.

Thanks Plexx,
Someone asked me the other day how they worked with furnace oil. The only personal experience I have had is putting one on a elevated tank that had stove oil in it for a small house I rented in northern Idaho. The stove was right in the middle of the livingroom. The burner reminded me of the little potbellied stove we heated with at Poakuloa on Mona Kea Hawaii. We didn't have stove oil. I would go over to the motor pool and get five gallons of gasoline to mix with the #2 diesel. We had the cleanest burning stove on the base. I didn't have a clue about filtration.
There seems to be the logic that if you get too good a filter it will put a stress on the pump. I get the best filter I can then I find a way to get fuel thru it. The lift pump doesn't worry me. My concern is getting enough pressure to the injection system. I overhauled a Caterpillar injection pump once that a careless finger print would lock up. I caught on real fast that that thing needed clean fuel. If I have any doubts I will install a pressure gauge. Some of my marine engine customers tell me the fuel filters are more important that the oil filters. Dirty fuel will put you on the rocks.
I just got a call from one of the founders of Motor Guard. He needs the copper internal parts. Talking to him is a real learning experience. He worked for Frantz or SKY Corporation before that. He is a pilot. He told me to take an aspirin and fly to Hawaii when I told him I was fighting a cold. It must be nice.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Guys, thanks for the info! My PSD should be a happy camper with nice clean fuel! Plexx that's interesting about the home heating oil cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back