Mexican food question

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Pablo, please don't do that at the table!"
wink.gif
tongue.gif

As far as I know they don't have burritos in Mexico. I guess the burito is the US fast food version of an actual Mexican dish. Which dish would that be?

make yourself a kesa-diller, dang it....

how do I end up in these threads in some offhand reference to gas pressure?

tortilla and beans rolled up - not a Mexican "dish"? Huh?

Well yeah I know they don't have fully loaded macho burritos in Mexico.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Get used to all Mexican Food. That's all there will be here to eat in a few years
frown.gif

Southern cooking is becoming a lost tradition. A lot of the good Mexican food will be, too. Simply too much time to prepare and can't be microwaved too well. They will be assimilated into the fast food culture, too.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Get used to all Mexican Food. That's all there will be here to eat in a few years
frown.gif

Southern cooking is becoming a lost tradition. A lot of the good Mexican food will be, too. Simply too much time to prepare and can't be microwaved too well. They will be assimilated into the fast food culture, too.

BTW My Favorite is .....Mexican Food"
smile.gif

Years ago, I thought I liked Mexican food. Later, as we got all the real Mexican immigrants, I was a bit disappointed in it. I learned it was TexMex that I really liked! I'm surrounded by Mexicans now and still can't get the most excellent tamales I used to like. I think real Mex is a little too bland. Shouldn't complain. It's better than Taco Bell.
lol.gif

We had this guy when I was in the service, Sgt. Garza, just retired and started a restaurant. His tamales were the best. I like em' wrapped in the corn shuck and not drowned in sauce. Yum, yum.
grin.gif

Mori, you don't get Chop Suey in China or good pizza in Italy either.

[ September 05, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

Mori, you don't get Chop Suey in China or good pizza in Italy either.

Actually, what I get here in the US, would almost never pass as pizza in Italy. Only a simple pizza Napoli is a pizza. Anything else is not a pizza.
wink.gif

Don't you think I don't know that glob like a burrito mojado is American Mexican food? That's why I was asking about Mexican food. I went to Mexico once, but had to keep an eye on my car all the time and didn't have time to eat.

Come to think of the mislabeling and nonsensical names of food, what the diddly is a Bavarian cream pie or even Bavarian cream? As a Bavarian I should know if there is such a thing! I'll say that cream here and there is different (extra water content in US fat (and meat) as filler!), but there is no such thing as Bavarian cream -- well, maybe if the milk came from a Bavarian cow, milked by a Bavarian cowboy, churned by fair Bavarian maids, pasturized by a Bavarian dairy company, and delivered by Franz, the genuine Bavarian milkman. If I hear or read the term Bavarian cream one more time I'll scream. And since when are fries French? Fries are a Belgian food. And what's up with French Vanilla ice cream? Just because it got eggs in it, it doesn't make it French -- unless made with French eggs, which have been laid by French chickens (Sounds like an extra-harsh insult!) or what? And don't get me going on "Swiss cheese." As if the Swiss had decent Emmenthaler for sale in airtight in body bags...
tongue.gif

But don't worry, idiotic food names are rampant worldwide. Ever had "Colon"? It's a Japanese cookie/waffle filled with cocoa goop. By the way, a popular sweet dish in Germany is an "Amerikaner" (American). This is how it looks:

-

http://www.das-rezeptbuch.de/bilder/amerikaner.jpg

It's a soft dough with a thick sugar or chocolate glazing on one side. It's awfully sweet and will cause instant constipation, hence the name. Sometimes you can find a black-and-white, half sugar, half chocolate version.

PS: Rant over.
wink.gif

I would also like to add that majority, if not most of the so-called Indian food in the west, US included is fake, fake, fake and tastes atrocious, is also a major rip off and doesn't taste like anything sold in India.

Gurkha - India food is at the top of my list as being the tastiest. Most USA people don't like so much spice combinations, but many can at least handle the chilis (a new world food, btw).

The "Indian" food in Hong Kong is actually worse than the US version. Actually you can find some OK Indian food in the USA in major metro areas, but I'm sure it's not nearly as good as the real thing. And I agree - some places charge an arm and a leg!!

Amerikaner:

quote:

It's awfully sweet and will cause instant constipation, hence the name.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
patriot.gif

The worst food in the world (drum roll, please):

"xifan" means western food in China....as in American. There really is nothing worse than a chinese imitation of already bad food.

All this and nobody has ever answered Mori's original question. Pablo, the Chines tacos weren't too bad. They were more like tostadas back then. I guess they hadn't figured out how to bend the shells. You have more recent experience. I didn't realize that Chinese technology had progressed to the point that they could make worse food than McDonalds.
lol.gif

We do have the worst food, but at least we have plenty of it.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back