Mexican food question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new authentic (and I mean AUTHENTIC as in just ran across the Arizona desert type people...) Mexican place opened by my house. AWESOME food and nice friendly people. Authentic street tacos, tortas, chilies, ceviche etc.

Honestly, I can think of a lot worse types of food than Mexican if it's all you had to eat. If you stay away from the American type Mexican food (heavy greesy cheesy type recipes), it's fairly healthy as well with fresh ingredients. I'll take a cup of shrimp ceviche loaded with fresh tomatoes, onions, carrot, cilantro and a little chicken taco with pico de gallo over Taco Bell any day.

Taco Bell is not Mexican food.

I'm not even certain that it can be considered food:
It has autolyzed yeast extract whatever the [heck]that is, cocoa powder---that's kind of a food, silicon dioxide....wait....that's more commonly known as SAND!, potassium phosphate and potassium lactate whatever the [heck] those are.

I can go to any number of taquerias just south of downtown Ft Worth and I get food. No, it's usually not the "healthier" vegetable heavy Mexi-Cali variety. It's typically Norteno style. Spicier. More emphasis on beef and pork. But it's made of real food by people who treat you like family and serve you generous portions.

If you go to downtown Santa Ana, you will find many good Mexican food. Many servers don't even speak English and most customers are Mexican, many menus are in Spanish only.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
When I lived in so cal if they had goat on the menu - that was a good sign!

We have NO good Mexican places where I live now.

Some of the taco trucks near the cities are pretty darn good....and my girlfriend says (she's from Mexico) fairly authentic. Certainly not a sit-down dining experience, but when one has a need for some simple Mexican food they do just fine.
And yes....many do have goat on the menu as well as lengua.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you go to downtown Santa Ana, you will find many good Mexican food. Many servers don't even speak English and most customers are Mexican, many menus are in Spanish only.

Oh so true, and you'd better be careful!

When those waitresses give you the mischievous eye and ask how hot you want your food be very very careful.... don't ask me how I know! I think my mouth still burns a little from it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
When those waitresses give you the mischievous eye and ask how hot you want your food be very very careful.... don't ask me how I know! I think my mouth still burns a little from it.

The same for pretty much anything other than French food, always start from mild no matter how much you believe you can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back