Mexican food question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Gurkha - do they have the lassi yoghurt drinks in India? My wife likes the mango lassi.

As for "Mexican food", I have noticed a distinct hatred for "Mexican food" by Chinese, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong folks. It's really no use to tell them it's fake American stuff.....once the've had cheezy refried beans they are pretty grossed out.

Pablo,

Very easy to make Lassi at home, you need a blender with a circular whipping blade and get some canned Mango from Indian stores, some good full fat yogurt and whip em up, thats all.

I don't see that many Orientals at Indian restaurants either, even here in India where there are lots of Oriental ex-pats. Sadly, I truly love Mexican food and was honored to savor good quality at Dr. Carlos Fuentes house, his daughter was my classmate at NYU. Otherwise the Mexican fare in NY is truly pathetic just like Indian food.

Gurkha - do they have the lassi yoghurt drinks in India? My wife likes the mango lassi.

As for "Mexican food", I have noticed a distinct hatred for "Mexican food" by Chinese, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong folks. It's really no use to tell them it's fake American stuff.....once the've had cheezy refried beans they are pretty grossed out.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I like all mexican food. I don't care what it is, I'll like it. anyone got some menudo or tripas?

Come to Detroit. You've got it and much more. All up and down Vernor Highway in southwest Detroit are very good Mexican and other Hispanic restaurants.

Mexican food in the US is mostly variants of what the poor people in Mexico eat.

Mexican food varies a lot by region, as much as American food. It also varies by class of the person eating it, more so than American food.

Middle-Upper class Mexican food is much like a spicier version of European food. But not as spicy as good Tex-Mex.

If you go to an small family owned Mexican restaurant in the US, the food is usually something like the lower-middle classes eat in the region the owners are from.

Low end-middle Chinese food is better in the Western US that it is in China. The best Chines food in China is supurb though.

quote:

If you took the same beans, unmashed, and saturated them with the cheapest foul smelling cooking oil, they would scarf them up. Go figure.

I was driving some Taiwanese high level types back to San Jose after a long day of test work in the boonies of Central California. We had worked until 9:00 PM so stopped at a Dennys in a small town. ther was nothing on the menu they considered edible. Then I reminded them about how they played gross out the round-eye with me when I was in Tawiwan. I told them that if I could eat chicken testicles (1) and fried jelly fish, they could eat fried emrbyo of unborn chicken and pig fat so they had sausage and veggies omlettes with no cheese.

(1) In China chickens aren't sexually insecure so they don't need to drive big 4x4 trucks or be called roosters. "Male chicken" works for them.

lol.gif

I can't imagine far easterners being grossed out by anything.

Isn't their definition of food "Anything that doesn't eat you first"?

Real Mexican food is kinda bland to me, but then 50+ years in Texas may have flavored my opinion a bit.... Most Americans think of TexMex (and the billions of variants of that) when they think of Mexican food.

We did find a decent Mexican food place in Tokyo back in the early 90s. Thankfully the Texans got there before the Californians put mushed avocado and sour cream goop on everything....

but seriously going all the way to Tokyo to eat Mexican food seems a bit silly. And eating Indian food in Toko and Singapore was not just awful, it was downright dangerous for a guy with a hiatal (sp?) hernia.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
I can't imagine far easterners being grossed out by anything.

Isn't their definition of food "Anything that doesn't eat you first"?

Real Mexican food is kinda bland to me, but then 50+ years in Texas may have flavored my opinion a bit.... Most Americans think of TexMex (and the billions of variants of that) when they think of Mexican food.

We did find a decent Mexican food place in Tokyo back in the early 90s. Thankfully the Texans got there before the Californians put mushed avocado and sour cream goop on everything....

but seriously going all the way to Tokyo to eat Mexican food seems a bit silly. And eating Indian food in Toko and Singapore was not just awful, it was downright dangerous for a guy with a hiatal (sp?) hernia.

Not as silly as eating Mexican food in Newfoundland. Possibly the worst Mexican food I has was in St. John's, Newfoundland (about 1/2 way from NY to Ireland). It's not that the food was unedible, but I had gone in a Mexican restaurant with my mouth all calibrated for Mexican food and got some really strange stuff. It was more like poorly prepared Spanish food.

That's when I adopted my rule of never eat Mexican food north of the 42nd parallel.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Mexican food in the US is mostly variants of what the poor people in Mexico eat.

Mexican food varies a lot by region, as much as American food. It also varies by class of the person eating it, more so than American food.

Middle-Upper class Mexican food is much like a spicier version of European food. But not as spicy as good Tex-Mex.

If you go to an small family owned Mexican restaurant in the US, the food is usually something like the lower-middle classes eat in the region the owners are from.

Low end-middle Chinese food is better in the Western US that it is in China. The best Chines food in China is supurb though.

This makes perfect sense when you realize that most immigrants to the US that start restaraunts are from the poor classes where they came from.

Another example is the "red sauce" Italian cooking, from Naples region, the largest source of immigrants from about 1880 to 1920. Somehow, the Germans and Poles started making pizza in the Midwest after WWII completely ruined it. A thick, soft mess, some with cornmeal in it, yuck!

As for Mexican cooking, you have to come to places like Los Angeles or Tucson and you will find plenty of authentic cooking, not TexMex. Except for the salsas on the side, the food itself is not overly hot. My favorite place is owned by a family from Jalisco. Just like the Naples, Italy example, most early Mexican immigration was from the state of Sonora, the northern desert part of Mexico, so that style is most common here.

The worst Mexican meal I had in the US, worse even than Taco Bell, was at a fancy place in a suburb of Denver. They must have been taking Swanson Mexican TV dinners and transferring them to a plate. People were lining up out the door for this slop! The second worst was in Washington, DC, but that was to be expected.

My rule for TexMex: if too many of the chairs match, esta no bueno.

My brother once had a summer job at a Mexican fast food place (Zantigo's?) where the food was spectacularly awful. Found out the headquarters was in Lexington, Kentucky....now Kentucky is a mighty fine place but HQ for a Mexican food chain?

Somehow they thought they could make ago of it in San Antonio de Bexar, Tejas.

[ October 06, 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: kenw ]

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
My rule for TexMex: if too many of the chairs match, esta no bueno.

Your rule works for our local Mexican restaurants too. I hadn't made the connection before, but it's a valid one.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
As for Mexican cooking, you have to come to places like Los Angeles or Tucson and you will find plenty of authentic cooking, not TexMex. Except for the salsas on the side, the food itself is not overly hot.

My wife is from Los Angeles (Carson) and experienced Mexican cooking firsthand with the immigrant grandparents of one of the girls she went to school with. Lots of jalapenos at the table during those meals. Oddly enough, her favorite place to eat when we go there is a small chain called "Diana's". (And El Pollo Loco - not Mexican, but I wish we could get one of those out east here). We've only found 2 other "Mexican" restaraunts around here that she will eat at: 'El Rodeo' (York, Mechanicsburg and Lancaster) and a 'Across the Border'? (i think is the name) that we found in Manassas.

quote:

When I lived in so cal if they had goat on the menu - that was a good sign!

We have NO good Mexican places where I live now.

In case you ever get to Silicon Valley, Baja Cactus in Milpitas California has outstanding Birria de Chiva. Soup made from young goats.

Spent $20 on a jar of Goan pork Vindalo curry mix from the Mudgeeraba Spce Company here in town for Floriade, nations biggest floer festival. Couldn't resist another jar of their Date & Lime Chatnai from Kerala. www.mudgeerabaspices.com.au is worth a look. Home delivered Thai tonight from a new restaurant. Chilli Mussels caught my eye. Red Duck Soy with Asian greens and tangy Soy looks interesting as well. I hope the Thai next door to them goes bust as they are a rip off!

I'll bet the birria de chiva is terrible in Australia.

On the other hand Sprintman - you do sound like you have it made (and a ton of cash). I doubt the one Thai place in our town of 6000 people even delivers.

No not rich just a big jar that should make 74 serves of Vindaloo. Thai was pretty good and the King Prawn (shrimp) salad made me cry tears of blood (as it should). Interesting thing I ordered 3 kinds of rice (Brown, Saffron, Coconut) much beter than the white tasteless rubbish you usually get.

Originally Posted By: Al
Get used to all Mexican Food. That's all there will be here to eat in a few years.

It looks AL was right..This actually came true since the last post was made back in 05..Mexican restaurants are all over place now from North Broward to Homestead in South Miami.

I had some friends visiting and staying near the Miami Airport..They wanted to eat Mexican this morning..We went to La Quebradita in Homestead..Mexican restaurants are all over Homestead now..Mostly along Krome Ave for those that might know the area..We all had 3 eggs sunnyside up,Rice&Beans and fresh home made Tortillas..Everything was awesome..The service was just as awesome as the food..The home made Tortillas were the best I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back