Method to fill umbrella stands with sand

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Last time I filled patio umbrella stands with sand- swore I would never do it again unless another method was found. I always dry the sand the best I can, and still its a painful process.

Moved to South Carolina, and with humidity the bagged sand does not seem to dry so well. With a handful of items it has become a much easier process, even a three year old can do it.

Five Gallon bucket
3 foot section of two inch PVC pipe
Large drain to two inch PVC
Cappuccino cup (don't let Wife see you borrowing it- mine did and I was verbally pounded). Cup does great scooping up the sand after Grandson prefers to play with spilled sand over putting sand in the drain opening (Three year old Grandson was visiting, so he helped).

PXL_20210725_174346704.jpg
PXL_20210725_181512627.jpg

Can't you use water?
I was taught, maybe erroneously, that sand will typically withstand a heavy wind, water may fail the stand in a heavy wind. Of course, adding water to the sand after in the base is the best- but can't imagine moving the base or emptying it at a later date.

if its filled to the top water or sand wont make much difference

they also make different style thats easier to fill.

Sand is about 2.6 SG … would guess the porosity is around 30% … so with sand/water you would have around 70% at 2.6 SG and 30% at 1.0 SG … (water only just 8.33 ppg) …

I was taught, maybe erroneously, that sand will typically withstand a heavy wind, water may fail the stand in a heavy wind. Of course, adding water to the sand after in the base is the best- but can't imagine moving the base or emptying it at a later date.
use water to wash the sand into the stand, the sand will sink and the water will overflow.

+1 add water to the bucket and pour the slurry into your funnel. I wouldn't fill it 100% with sand unless you're sure it'll never need to be moved :cautious:

With water you can manually pump it back out and reverse back to a "light" state. With sand good luck moving that 200 lb of dead weight around.
We had a basketball goal filled with sand/water after water only was blown over … used it for years … once the kids were grown - used my chainsaw to give it a proper “hatch” … junked it …

Any updates on the big Merc?

I would buy bags of dry play sand (freshwater river sand) and pour it right from a corner cut off the bag. Adding water to the sand might well make it into a moss, mold or bacteria factory.

Back