Methanol exhaust fumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be total wrong on this one, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that denatured alcohol is a high proof alcohol that has been made unfit for human consumption. No reference of methanol.

If it did have charactoristics like methanol, I'd hate to be someone who works with and cuts shellacs all day. I've primed a kitchen with BIN, and even with fans in the window, I still got a buzz by the time I was finished. The doc says that my eyes look great, even with my diabetes.

That's what I thought, until I got home, sat down with a cold one and started reading the back of the can. I quote:
"Poison: WARNING, contains Methanol, which is a violent poison and cannot be made non-poisonous."

This is made by "Crown" (quality products since 1971).

Do they just add a little bit of methanol so that people won't go drinking this stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by GreeCguy:
That's what I thought, until I got home, sat down with a cold one and started reading the back of the can. I quote:
"Poison: WARNING, contains Methanol, which is a violent poison and cannot be made non-poisonous."

This is made by "Crown" (quality products since 1971).

Do they just add a little bit of methanol so that people won't go drinking this stuff?

Is supect they add the methanol because it's cheap .

Howdy fellow oilers!
Just wondering, I picked up a gallon of denatured alcohol the other day with the intention of running a mixture of ten percent denatured alcohol with ninety percent gasoline in one of my old tractors to clean the fuel system. Then I got to thinking - Methanol is wood alcohol. Wood alcohol causes blindness if consumed. The exhaust pipe for this old tractor is about 10 inches long, thereby causing the driver to inhale some exhaust fumes, (not to mention become hard of hearing). Do you think the mixture of 10/90 is lean enough to run without any harm to user? Just wondering

denatured alchohol is pure ethanol with enough methanol to "denature" it or make it unfit to drink. it the same idea as the salted denatured cooking wines at the grocery store that you don't need ID to buy as you can't drink it straight.

-Bret

Ever been to a Sprintcar race? They run on straight Methanol. Go stand near one when they are warming up in the pits, it's like tear gas. You wouldn't be able to stay near the tractor exhaust if you run Methanol

Most gas line antifreeze additives contain methanol.

Does anyone remember the Italian fiasco of 1986 when over 20 people died because winemakers were spiking bad wine with methanol?

Burning methanol in an automotive engine produces a lot of formic acid. I've seen the inside of one of these engines once... it looks like it's covered with chocolate milkshake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back