Metal strip/ wire attaches from tpms to aluminum valve stem

Hey everyone. I am curious if anyone knows what role the little metal strip plays that screw to the bottom of the valve stem and attaches to the sensor. The sensor in question is on an 09 Elantra touring. If the valve fails you can replace it however the replacement don't come with a way to attach the little metal strip the factory ones have a single screw attaching them. I was hoping someone with more knowledge than myself could shed some light on the function of this piece.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this setup? I can't visualize a TPMS sensor with a tether of sort. I look on-line at OEM sensors and don't see what you're speaking of.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this setup? I can't visualize a TPMS sensor with a tether of sort. I look on-line at OEM sensors and don't see what you're speaking of.
Next week I'll see it again. So basically instead of having the one screw in the middle of the valve stem it has a small hole to the side of where that centered hole would be and it's a little piece of metal that goes from the sensor and attached on the bottom side of the valve stem. I don't recall seeing one like it until today

I can only guess you're speaking of the way the valve stem attaches to the sensor body? I searched a listing of all Hyundai part numbers and found this particular design. If this is what you're speaking of then I have absolutely no idea why it's designed this way. Maybe it's a spring designed to keep pressure between the sensor and valve stem. I don't think there's a screw that performs this function. This is the only sensor I've ever seen like this.
1673684417807.png

Last edited:
Next week I'll see it again. So basically instead of having the one screw in the middle of the valve stem it has a small hole to the side of where that centered hole would be and it's a little piece of metal that goes from the sensor and attached on the bottom side of the valve stem. I don't recall seeing one like it until today
I can only guess you're speaking of the way the valve stem attaches to the sensor body? I searched a listing of all Hyundai part numbers and found this particular design. If this is what you're speaking of then I have absolutely no idea why it's designed this way. Maybe it's a spring designed to keep pressure between the sensor and valve stem. I don't think there's a screw that performs this function. This is the only sensor I've ever seen like this.
View attachment 135403
This is it. See the screw on the bottom right of the valve stem? The screw attaches the tpms sensor to the valve stem. The aftermarket replacement valve stems do not have a hole to attach that metal strip with a screw. I didn't know if that metal strip served sometimes of important purpose or not.

Back