Metal shavings on new Napa Gold filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
For someone who speaks of not using Champ products, from what experience do you speak of? If Champ roll stamps the threads, I can not see how they can be problematic with loose shavings. I have felt a "slight" burr at times on a Champ thread but never anything that would be a shaving.

Hootbro

If you run thread rolling tooling to long before servicing it you can get skinny pieces of metal that roll off. If the manufacturer skimped on the metal quailty on the piece having the theads rolled into it you can get the same thing.

As for the dipstick. It won't hurt anything if you can push it all the way through and into the pan.

FWIW I was working on my Scout one day and somehow managed to drop a lifter into the pan!
pat.gif

It was much easier to run to the parts store and buy a new one than to remove the oil pan so it's still in there.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
For someone who speaks of not using Champ products, from what experience do you speak of? If Champ roll stamps the threads, I can not see how they can be problematic with loose shavings. I have felt a "slight" burr at times on a Champ thread but never anything that would be a shaving.

Hootbro

If you run thread rolling tooling to long before servicing it you can get skinny pieces of metal that roll off. If the manufacturer skimped on the metal quailty on the piece having the theads rolled into it you can get the same thing.

Got to it before I did.

As with companies registered to ISO, Champ's preventative maintenance measures include their own tool and die rework area. They have two dies for every machine process. So it's easy to change out when one starts to show some wear and then rework it for it's next use. Champ tries to change out before a die does get to the point of having burrs in the threads. As they count the # of backplates each machine stamps the threads in. So they have an idea how many backplates can be made before a die wears enough to cause burrs. But stuff happens even with the best preventative maintenance practices. Once a die is deemed to cause burrs it is changed immediately.

Again, use a magnet if you think stuff inside the threads or "attached" to the threads is metal. Report back with every attempt at which you do this, then let's see what % of wiped threads are metal by brand..
wink.gif

I don't "think" I've misused the dipstick, but I am a REGULAR oil checker - I check my oil at least once a week.

Gotta remember though, they say to definitely check your oil once weekly on an older engine - although my oil never drops, except maybe 1/8 qt in 3K miles.

From here on out, I'll do it every 2 weeks!

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
snip....

Again, use a magnet if you think stuff inside the threads or "attached" to the threads is metal. Report back with every attempt at which you do this, then let's see what % of wiped threads are metal by brand..
wink.gif

There he goes again, asking people to back up their opinions with data.

Just tried it on an ST 3950 and got nothing.

By the way, what happened to the reports on clicker bypass caused problems I asked for? I am wanting more than I don't like the looks of it, I don't understand how it works, etc.

Labman,
Sometimes you just have to make your own decisions about the products you use.
You don’t have to dive into shallow water personally to know that it will hurt.
Salesmen just sell things, we however have to pay for what we use. It’s your truck, use what you think are good products, I will use what I think are good products.
FilterGuy is just doing what he always does, trying to shift any product deficiencies onto anything but the product itself..same as always.
Make up your own mind, deal with it, if you choose to trust the salesman, so-be-it.
I don’t trust the salesman.

[ July 18, 2005, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

ZR2RANDO, I try to find facts to help me make up my mind. I trust my experience much more than anything I read on the net.

I suppose that maybe, somehow, the single OEM filter that this aftermarket supplier picked up had shavings in the thread area.

Therefore they could deduce from their statistical analysis, and engineering practice that 100% of OEM filters had loose shavings, and therfore derive an OEM "specification".

Therefore shavings on only 99 out of the 100 meets or exceeds the OEM specifications for loose metal shavings.

Warranties on defects of manufacture aren't valid, as they meet OEM specs (which they don't have)

Well it's hard to warranty filters in Australia as they keep using Steinlager for lubricant as they drink their Fosters..
wink.gif

Victoria Bitter is great stuff. The Aussies export all the fosters to the States 'cause they know anything tastes better than Bud.
cheers.gif

Alright a beer thread..now we're getting somewhere...lol

But I see no comment on The Ashes from Shannow.
As Shane Warne said it would be a five nil walkabout..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chimay:
From South Australia I would have a Cooper's Sparkling Ale. Thank You
cheers.gif

nectar of the Gods, and the only (well nearly) malt beverage that passes my lips...'cept maybe for Guiness and the Occasional VB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back