Metal Polish

While at my local WM this morning I was cruising the automotive section. In the detail section this metal polish was on clearance. It's made by Turtle Wax. I figure I could use it to polish my gun triggers. Has anyone else ever used this before?
POLISH.jpeg

While at my local WM this morning I was cruising the automotive section. In the detail section this metal polish was on clearance. It's made by Turtle Wax. I figure I could use it to polish my gun triggers. Has anyone else ever used this before?
View attachment 30380

Could you elaborate?

In machining and "trigger tuning" ( sears and everything else) "polishing" has a different meaning and is totally different than what I believe you are describing.

25 cent trigger job?

These are the videos IMO that probably should be outlawed ( or at least severely restricted) due to safety because of people spouting things they don't have a clue about.

First, by definition, "polishing" by definition and technique is smoothing a surface ( theoretically not removing mass or changing geometry) and as a result changes a COF. There are grades and degrees with various techniques such as burnishing and so forth.

Anything that can be accomplished without mechanical action relative to the hardness is purely cosmetic and functionally worthless to begin with ( unless your goal is to pass an IG inspection) so anything on "gunmetal" with a rag or Q-tip is not accomplishing anything relating to the expectation of a "trigger job" is coincidental/anecdotal and more the result of a "deep clean" with a fresh coat of lube than a polishing exercise.

Then bearing down too hard "can" (emphasis on MAY) change surface contact, design friction or other qualities resulting possibly undesired action or even something inherently unsafe.

So doing it with the rag/Q-tip is relatively harmless and a good cleaning exercise but like anything else, if taken to an extreme ( even by well meaning actions) can have adverse consequences.

Personally I don't recommend anyone attempting trigger work of any description without proper specific training.

That's just me.

Back