metal in fresh oil - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

I hope the knowledgeable people on this board can shed some light on my mystery and give me useful advice.

Car: 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

I live in the Netherlands and last August bought this '03 Cobra, after having owned some other mustangs. It's got a 4yo reman engine with around 20k miles on it, has been well maintained as far as I know (oil was clear when I bought it, always had Mobil1, came with 4 spare filters).

Engine runs like a dream, not ticking or knocking, smoking, etc.

Last week, I decided to change the oil (Mobil1 5w30) + filter (Motorcraft 820s) even though I had only driven maybe 2000 miles, because the car was going in storage till spring.
The oil came out clean, no concerning things there. After this, I drove the car maybe 30 miles.

Later I was reading on mustang boards and found that these cars need the oil level to be on the middle of the dipstick, not the full mark. (6 qt in the owners manual - took 6.8 qt to get to full - most people run 6.5) So I decided to drain just a tiny bit of oil to get to 6.5qt. This is where the fun starts! The half qt of 30mile old mobil1 that came out contained metal dust/glitter/shavings!

I tried to take pictures

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

I checked a full qt of the 'old' oil that was in the car for maybe 2000 miles in a clean drainpan to see if I had missed anything the first oilchange, but it's clean!

Scared out of my mind, the next day I drained all the 30mile old Mobil1 at once and poured another clean qt through engine to flush out any remaining metal. Checked the all the oil qt by qt in a clean black drainpan, couldn't really find anything concerning! Also cut the filter open, clean! Refilled with 6 qt of new 5W30 synthetic and a new filter and drove 20 miles.

Checked about a coffee cup worth of the new oil the next day, only to find metal shavings again! This is where the story ends, the car is in storage right now till spring. I saved the last sample that I drained with the metal shavings in it. They're ferrous (attrackted by magnet) and seem to be mostly silver in color. Size is maybe very fine sand like, with just a few longer shaped shavings mixed in. You can clearly see it rolling on the bottom of the pan when you hold it from side to side.

I have no idea how a healthy sounding engine could produce this in just 20-30 miles. Also don't understand why I can't seem to find anything when I drain ALL the oil at once. Only when I just drain a small amount from the pan.

Also worth noting is that I suspect the drainplug to be non original (13mm vs the normal 16mm bolthead) One of my theories is that this drainplug is creating the metal shavings by tightening and loosening, in turn washed off by the gulp of oil that is drained, which causes it to end up in the drainpan.

Sorry for the huge post, hope some of you are still with me and can shed some light on this matter!

cliffnotes:

- engine sounds healthy.

- Changed 2000mile old oil: seemed clean.

- drained half a qt of 30mile old oil from pan, found metal filings.

- drained all of the 30mile old oil, seemed clean. Opened up filter, was clean.

- filled with new oil + filter, drove 20 miles again.

- drained 1/4 qt of 20mile old oil next day, again metal filings!

- metal is ferrous and silvery in color, mostly fine sand size, very few longer pieces.

- suspect the non OEM drainplug from contaminating the first gulp of oil every time it's checked.

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Very strange indeed.

Are there any areas (like shallow cups, valleys) inside of these engines where break in shavings might have collected and may be slowly dispersing into the oil?

EDIT; Why the reman and who was it done by?

Last edited:
I suspect some heavier stuff simply settled to the bottom of the pan and that's what you drained.

BTW, nice ride. Love the Terminator Cobras.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A UOA is needed, with particle count.

How did these people on the Mustang forum conclude that the oil should be half way between "add" and "full"?

I'm wondering the same thing....

By the way, you can safely run up to 7.5 quarts in that car. The crank is recesses into the block. The windage tray doesn't become covered and the crank will not touch oil until 8 quarts. Just put the 7 quarts in.

No "particulate" in the filter, I would not fret it - unless the pickup is filtering the big stuff.

I've had metal now and then on long chain cars. A slack chain is like a chainsaw - did the reman miss installing a chain guide?

Thanks so far guys, I'm trying to find a good analysis place that doesn't charge 200 bucks, and I'm not sure if they'd find anything in 20 mile old oil. Luckily I still have the 'old' oil too. Working on that.

The engine is a reman from national parts wholesalers. I guess just your regular factory spec reman job.

Oil capacity on the 03 cobra is all over the place, as you can read some people use 7, some just follow the manual and go 6, I wanted to be in between those numbers.

If these particals are actually from the motor and I drained them because they were at the bottom of the pan, wouldn't that mean that there would have to be something seriously wrong with this engine, creating all those filings in just 20-30 miles?

Obviously, like every petrolhead on this board, I'm having sleepless nights over this.

The reman is still breaking in IMO and a few specks are settling in the bottom of the pan. Remans aren't built to the same tolerances as factory new. No big deal. Unless you see major accumulation in the filter, I wouldn't worry. Just keep checking your filter every OCI until at least 50k miles and monitor your oil pressure gauge at known temperature and RPM levels - write down your OP - a short pencil beats a long memory. If OP starts to dip, that will be the 1st sign something is starting to eat. Running Mobil 1, that motor would get seriously noisy before it ever let go. Sleep easy.

I have seen metal like that in oil drained from a newly rebuilt engine. To an extent it's normal. After 20k I would be a little worried too. I would take a good long look at that drain plug at your next oil change. I would buy a magnetic one for sure and go from there.

I was thinking 20k miles would be plenty, even for a reman engine to stop producing shavings, specially in 20-30 miles of driving...

A magnetic drainplug and aftermarket oil pressure gauge are on the list for this spring, first things I'll do.

Is anyone with me on the idea that it might've been the drainplug causing this? Or are the shavings too fine for this? It's not exactly binding or crossthreading, it's just that I don't think it's the OEM plug and it would explain finding this amount every time I drain a small amount of oil.

Look at the pan bolt with a magnifying glass to see how worn it is then maybe wire brush it and see if any particles come off the threads. Then with oil all dripped out take a rag and wipe the pan bolt hole real good with rag wrapped around your finger to see if you can pick up any of the particles. Since the particles are silver I bet that where its coming from.

The pan bolt is softer than the pan threads so they probably put a used pan bolt in your new motor.

If pulling the pan isn't a royal pain, I'd drop it and see what you really have and do a bright light inspection. Check the distributor drive for being too snug etc.

Good luck

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
If pulling the pan isn't a royal pain, I'd drop it and see what you really have and do a bright light inspection. Check the distributor drive for being too snug etc.

Good luck

Smoky

The engine is COP, there's no distributor FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

Good luck

Smoky

Distributor......

D3E13C54-4C1B-4223-9B4E-7EC9A48698D6-2001-0000046F9AB645DA_zps710fc0c8.jpg

Inspecting the pan bolt hole and bolt itself sounds good, I will do that come spring.

Sadly, pulling the pan is a pita with these cars because the K-member is in the way.

No disty, but I appreciate the hint since that could've been a valid source on a disty engine.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Possibly bad news, I bought one of those magnetic pens and only a part of the dust that has settled on the bottom of my drain pan is ferrous. It seems the finest particals are not moved by the magnet.

Originally Posted By: dutch03
UPDATE

Possibly bad news, I bought one of those magnetic pens and only a part of the dust that has settled on the bottom of my drain pan is ferrous. It seems the finest particals are not moved by the magnet.
The only thing that I can think of is cam chain tensioner material.

Last edited:
I was afraid of it being bearing material since parts of it are non ferrous. I have never heard a modular motor with chain problems, but mine is pretty much silent as far as these motors can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back