Metal in 6L90 drain pan, Express van

Thread update: I have been using the van to haul the dirt bike some and some short trips around town. It is running good except for one small issue with the transmission.

I get three hard bangs between either the 2 - 3 shift or 3 - 4 shift. It only happens after the van has been running in park and is hot.

Cold, it doesn't do this. But when it does, it doesn't do it again until you put it in park while running, then drive it again. They are pretty violent and happen in rapid succession. Feels like it's trying to engage two gears at same time? Tries 3 times and stops?

@clinebarger Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20221002_193551071.jpg
    PXL_20221002_193551071.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
Might be time for a Quick Learn via a scan tool, There are times where the TCM just won't learn new Clutch Volumes quick enough. There are also times where the TCM needs to be updated to the latest version via GM SPS2.

This is assuming you don't have some metallic debris still floating around sticking the Compensator Valve.....I've seen this quite a few times when the unit wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough after a converter failure.

Might be time for a Quick Learn via a scan tool, There are times where the TCM just won't learn new Clutch Volumes quick enough. There are also times where the TCM needs to be updated to the latest version via GM SPS2.

This is assuming you don't have some metallic debris still floating around sticking the Compensator Valve.....I've seen this quite a few times when the unit wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough after a converter failure.

Thanks for the reply. About a month ago I was able to get Quick Learn to complete via HP Tuners. It took two tries. I could try again.

I don't have access to a GM SPS2 to update the firmware in the TEHCM.

I had the two halves of the TEHCM apart and washed/cleaned both with parts cleaner with all the valves and parts out. I installed the Transgo Tow&Pro kit with new compensator parts.

I am thinking maybe I should take it to a local transmission shop. Have them troubleshoot with their tools. I don't want to give up but the tools at my disposal might have run their course?

Hank, how did this turn out for you? I found myself in the same boat here recently with a van 6L90 needing rebuilt. I have a diesel version, so my used options are fewer. I like that I can find a new converter from Iowa though. I ALSO have a 6L90 in a 1200hp CTSV that might need upgarded further in a year or so, so I figured maybe I'd be OK buying some specialty tools.

Thread update: I sold the van to a Bosnian guy who planned to drive it to Florida from Iowa the next day... Never heard from him so I can only assume he made it. Thanks to Clinebarger and others who helped with this project.

I bought an almost new F-150 and it made driving an old van long distances seem silly, so I sent it on down the road. Bike isn't inside/protected, but the F-150 is way more comfy to drive.

Glad I attempted and completed this rebuild though. I have a greater understanding and appreciation for automatic transmissions now. Getting in front of the 10R80s issues in my F-150 is the next order of business.

And figuring out what oil in my Ecoboost to use. Did I come to the right place? 😁

And figuring out what oil in my Ecoboost to use. Did I come to the right place? 😁
After reading this thread, you seem pretty adept at maintenance and repairs. My humble suggestion is to search the numerous @High Performance Lubricants threads. Their PCEO 5W30 would likely be everything you're looking for, but if you want the very best of the best and don't mind higher upfront costs, check out their No VII 5w30.

Nice work on the 6L90 even though you no longer have it. I just scratch my head sometimes at all of these transmission issues that some models have which seem to be fixed with parts that are most times less expensive than the OEM parts. What a shame.

After reading this thread, you seem pretty adept at maintenance and repairs. My humble suggestion is to search the numerous @High Performance Lubricants threads. Their PCEO 5W30 would likely be everything you're looking for, but if you want the very best of the best and don't mind higher upfront costs, check out their No VII 5w30.

Nice work on the 6L90 even though you no longer have it. I just scratch my head sometimes at all of these transmission issues that some models have which seem to be fixed with parts that are most times less expensive than the OEM parts. What a shame.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will research high performance lubricants.

I have been reading your posts on several Ecoboost threads. Do you share the concerns others have about viscosity falling out on the 5w-30s people are using to 5,000+ OCI?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will research high performance lubricants.

I have been reading your posts on several Ecoboost threads. Do you share the concerns others have about viscosity falling out on the 5w-30s people are using to 5,000+ OCI?
Well, it's kind of funny you ask. I used Ravenol DXG early on in my ownership (what appeared on paper to be a very robust oil on all fronts) for several OCIs, and yes, I saw the viscosity drop out of grade on it. I wasn't super concerned, because all other indicators didn't show there was distress. But, I did want to get something that would stay in grade.

After researching HPL, I found that one of their large fleet customers runs ~12,000 3.5 EcoBoosts on 15k OCIs with 5k filter changes, and has roughly 180 million miles worth of data, per year, over the past decade or so that HPL's PCEO 5w30 has been used in this fleet. HPL uses (correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding, @High Performance Lubricants or @RDY4WAR!) oxidative thickening on purpose to combat some fuel dilution, so it is normal at an early point in an OCI with this oil to see "some" viscosity loss while still maintaining the designated grade, and then as the use continues, the oxidation will thicken the oil up some but it is not detrimental because of the other components in the oil (alkylated napthalenes and esters) are designed to continually clean surfaces and transport any debris to the filter. Also, in the regular PCEO HPL uses a very shear-stable VII so you will not have mechanical shearing concerns, of which the EcoBoost is known for.

So in a "normal" OTS oil in an EcoBoost, you'll see fuel dilution and mechanical VII shearing impact viscosity, and is usually why most owners do very short OCIs. With HPL, you won't have the mechanical shear, and the oil is designed to thicken slightly over time, so you get a double bonus there. The 5k filter change & top-up oil not only removes any cleaned debris, but also gives the oil still in the sump a freshen-up to keep the viscosity in the grade window and give TBN a small boost. Sure, it's more expensive than other oils, but have you priced an EcoBoost timing chain/phaser or entire long block lately? You buy from their retail distribution website, Advanced Lubrication, and be sure to use code BITOG15 for 15% off your order. (y)

Very helpful info! Thanks!

Any suggestions for filters? I just purchased a 12 pack of Motorcraft OEM filters, was planning to use them unless I hear/read otherwise.

Fram Endurance 10575 is what's on mine for now, going to check particle counts vs. Fram Ultra when I get a chance to pull a sample. The No VII 5w30 will also be going in at that time, since I'm at about 13.8k on this run of PCEO 5w30.

Back