Metal gas tank leak

I have a cheap bolens push mower with the 4.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The tank is leaking at the crimped seams. Is there anything I can use to seal this? I really don’t want to spend $60 for a new tank.

Attachments

• EB160F44-58B2-41F9-89DE-25282D37EC08.jpeg
    EB160F44-58B2-41F9-89DE-25282D37EC08.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 18
Eastwood makes a tank sealer but I don't know if it comes in a small enough size to make it cost effective for a push mower tank. Find an old mower that has a good tank or use the handyman's friend, JB Weld.

Eastwood makes a tank sealer but I don't know if it comes in a small enough size to make it cost effective for a push mower tank. Find an old mower that has a good tank or use the handyman's friend, JB Weld.
I think loctite makes a sealer too

I use Ivory Soap to seal up gas tanks the stuff works great and it’s cheap. Done it for as long as I’ve been fixing stuff. A real old timer showed me that trick.

Briefly (because I know you're a busy guy), how does Ivory Soap seal a leaking gas tank?

Additionally, after repeated rinsing, can't any leaking fuel tank be brazed where needed?
It is the only soap that works because it’s pure soap and nothing else. Just whatever is in it is pretty resistant to gasoline. We sealed the tank of our van with it about 5 years ago and it’s still holding. Occasionally you will have to go over it again but it seals it up really nice. It’s all over the internet a fellow mechanic taught me that and then I showed my dad. Cheap and easy. If anything last till you get a new tank. It probably could be brazed.

I reiterate, JB Weld. This will make a permanent repair. For years I have been using it for gas tank repairs on both metal and plastic tanks.
Soap is a very temporary repair, and it simply won't work in this application because of the heat (the tanks get very hot on these Pulsa-Jet and Vacu-Jet gas tanks).

Back