Mercury Comet 540,000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Comet being a "top trim level" Caliente was fairly dear and loaded at more than $3000. and it was ordered with such "luxuries" as automatic transmission, AC, power steering and other non-essential niceties in the sixties...

Fast forward today and it's like she'd splurge for a 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with the 3.5 liter V6, 6 speed automatic, 18" alloys, sunroof, power everything, Navi and leather package...

Originally Posted By: occupant
I will probably see 500K out of my Torino. Might take a few engines to get there, the 351M in there now doesn't sound too good, and I really need to pull the intake and check the valvetrain. With the clacks I'm hearing, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple pushrods are bent or a few lifters aren't pumping up or a few rocker arms aren't sitting right. Thankfully I have a 351M in the parts car I bought so I can play mix n match and see what works best out of the 32 lifters, 32 rocker arms, and 32 pushrods I have available to me. The car is probably going to be my last car. I might buy other cars in the meantime for various uses, but this Torino is staying with me, even if it burns to the ground, I'll find a way to rebuild it.

I'd say another well taken care of engine would get you that far. In 98 I had my great-grandma's 72 Torino.. not sure which engine except it was a 351 2 valve. Had 90-100k at the time burned no oil and purred like a kitten and top out at over 120 mph.. to scared to look. I kick myself for not buying it from my grandparents. I will own another someday. The 72's are getting hard to find though. This one looks like it to a "t" though.

4907580066_large.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted pics before of my '72 Gran Torino Sport:

357928457.jpg

It's an all original unrestored car, ordered originally by my father in 1972. It's nice that these cars are starting to finally get some recognition, especially the 72's with Clint's movie. These Torino's are really well engineered for their time (okay the standard suspensions were way too soft, luckily mine has the heavy-duty suspension). People are surprIsed at how quite, comfortable, and smooth my car is for a 37 year old car. They are even more surprised when I tell them it has 145 K miles on it (and no oil consumption).

Back to the originaly post, a lot of people don't give these old engines enough credit. They'd last long if you looked after them, but there was A LOT more upkeep. The choke had to be kept in constant tune to keep the cylinders from washing out, the oil had to be changed more frequently due to the lower quality oils used, and more contaminants in the oil. Of course tune-ups were a lot more major and required fairly often.

My dad learned his up keep from a GM mechanic he grew up next to. He'd cars always run perfectly, no oil burning right up until he drove them to the scrap yard when the bodies rusted out (thankfully, my dad learned from someone else how to look after the body).

Occupant, I've seen you Torino on the Torino forum. Nice car, good luck with the project. I am glad you're keeping a 335 Series Ford engine in it instead of taking the easy road with a Windsor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: paul246
That lady has an excellent attitude all-round. Truly amazing.

+1

I always hear people saying the old cars of the 60's never lasted..That is so wrong...At one time we had a 60 Ford Fairlane 500 in the family and it was one the best cars we ever.
The late 50's and early 60's American cars were the best there was . Some people don't know the difference between quality and new technology.

I had one and mine didn't last. My second car was a 1965 Comet 289 2 barrel 3MT and it didn't make it past 85,000 miles. By then I had rebuilt the heads for a couple of blown valves. Not long after that it started using oil and smoking. As the valve guides had been knurled during the rebuild of the heads, I assume the rings were the problem. Don't remember the details around the oil consumption. The final indignity was stalling repeatedly on a narrow, hilly (and busy) 2 lane highway; it was probably just the ignition coil but by then I had given up on it.

I changed the oil regularly (3 - 4 times a year which would have been about every 2500 - 3500 miles). In spite of being pretty young at the time I actually took quite good care of it.

The day I bought it (as a 3 year old used car with something like 30,000 miles on it) I noticed that the gasket (between the air cleaner and the carburetor) was out of place and there was road dust sitting on/in the carburetor. I cleaned the visible dust out of course and put the gasket back in place but it may have ingested quite a lot of dust by then. I've often wondered if dust ingestion was why that engine wore out so fast.

Ecotourist

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'm just amazed that the car still runs so well beings that she used Sears, JCPenny, Firestone etc to service it. Bet they sold her every kind of flush, cleaning, lube and whatever other service under the sun!

I also assume she is doing 3k mile oil changes using bulk oil based on where she goes for service.

No way. I'm sure she gets out her own drain pan, a couple of ramps, and a few quarts of vintage Valvoline, lays that sidearm next to her on the ground, and does it herself.. I'm also pretty certain she figures the Vavoline 300,000 mile guarantee ain't jack...
1_68ae715078d87e9f719b3b554b0fde7e.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, the a/c on the 63-64-65 Comets was under the dash.

I Doubt very much she would have had the Comet for so long without A/C in Florida...In 1964 A/C was very rare in just about any car except luxury ones.

I was in car yesterday for only 10 minutes in Miami Beach with a broken A/C and I was super soaked with sweat...You can always tell a tourist in Miami Beach as they have the top down in their rental [usally a Sebring Convertible] and their all burnt to a crisp in this blazing sun...If their bald the whole top of their head is blazing red..

The average person down here never opens their windows or puts their top down unless its in the winter...Even then its only at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back