MerCruisers New 20w-40 Full Syn. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this new line out and is now recommended on all MerCruiser engines. Has anybody tried this stuff yet? The 25w-40 blend and dino is still also available as well. I tried to get more info on this oil but didnt see much. Its running about 32 bucks a gallon.

I have been using the Merc 25w40 dino for 25+ years with no issue. Since it is $19.99/gal at West Marine why switch? My engines have a 100 hour OCI spec and I barely do 50 hours a year so all is good.

Not looking to switch. Thats not even the question. I asked has anybody tried this stuff or has more info. I use 15w-40 but was curious to what others had to say. I find it running that the post below or above says no marine engine uses syn lol.

I'd be curious to see what's actually in it. Thirty-two dollars a gallon is a little stiff, even for things labeled "Mercury" and "Marine". But with boats, there are few bargains. Probably a G-III brew of some sort to keep up with the "Joneses" (VP).

A look around the Mercury site shows that this oil is specifically aimed at engines with catalytic converters. It is most likely a low SAPS type of oil. Group III? The blends are II and III from what I read on the back of a bottle.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back