Mercon v, what's available?

Long story short I bought an early 2000s ambulance, with a 7.3 and a 4r100. The best of my knowledge I need mercon v or before.

It's a relatively low mileage truck, exceedingly so considering its age, I'd like to change out the filter, and do a couple of drain and fills with something cheap to clean it out.

Any recommendations?

Check your local Advance Auto Parts to see if they've sold through all the clearanced Carquest Mercon V yet or not, you might be able to pick up a lot of it on the cheap, it didn't seem to be selling in all the stores I went in.

Walmart is my suggestion too. Castrol and SuperTech have MerconV.
In my 2001 Mercury Sable and 2001 Ford Explorer I switched eventually to Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF - it's a better fluid, exceeds the MerconV requirements.

My Sable drove fine 180k miles until daughter totaled it. The Explorer rusted too far.

PS: Don't be tempted by the LV fluids, even if they are synthetic. They will tear up that transmission.

Last edited:
Your step #1 is to make certain your transmission takes MerconV.

I used Super Tech MerconV in my '05 5R55E transmission. Here there was no question.
Then a member here posted about a half-price offer for a 6-pack of Valvoline MerconV on Amazon.

Once you verify your fluid type, search for it on Amazon. Wait a day or two and see what offers "magically" find you.

Last edited:
Ford recommended MerconV even for older transmissions that were initially specced with Mercon (it's a TSB).

Like I said that's the minimum, personally I had better results with Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF than with Castrol Mercon V.

Back