Mercon V - Amalie or Castrol for 2002 Lincoln?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was figuring to load up on Walmart's ST Mercon V ($4.19) for a 14-16 qt fluid change on my 2002 Lincoln. But, the local stores are out of stock. Doesn't appear ordering it will speed it up either. The other closest prices are Amalie ($4.61) and Castrol ($5.19 on sale). For an extra $10 the Castrol is probably the safest bet. Don't know much about Amalie.

Castrol is certified and approved by Ford. Amalie just "meets" Ford's requirements. WIX filter package runs $22.65 with rubber gasket. Ford dealer wants $7/qt, $39 for filter, and $43 for gasket, all MotorCraft parts. For those prices I'd almost expect labor included. My OEM rubber gasket should be reusable anyways.

Common filter choices appear to be Napa ATP 18553, AAP/B-155, Duralast (AutoZone) TF217, Wix 58822, TF151 Hastings, M/C FT158...all mostly in the $17-$22 range.

Castrol makes some great ATFs, Wix or MC would be my choices in filters. Amalie is a good brand but I always felt that Castrol and Valvoline make some top notch ATFs.

Didn't know this earlier, but Amalie bought Wolfshead from Shell/Pennzoil a few years back.

My 1997 Lincoln had the same engine/trans as my 2002. The 1997 owner's manual specs Mercon. By 2002 they up-specced to Mercon V. Considering I could probably use DEX III/Mercon in either of these cars, Valvoline Max Life ATF might be an option too.

The pan gasket is reusable, torque it to proper specs and it will not leak. I don't even pull them off the pan, just make sure both surfaces are clean.

Motorcraft trans filter box will contain a made in China Filtran, no point in paying a premium.

Maxlife atf meets Mercon, Mercon V, and Mercon LV, I would not use a fluid that meets LV in a trans speced for Mercon/V.

The pan gasket really is reusable. I thought that mine was seeping at first but it was just drips from spilling fluid when refilling.
smile.gif

Mercon V...the Ford recommended ATF.

A few years back I ordered the amount needed from O'Reileys, had the had it for me the next day.

I used M1 ATF in my 96 Merc GM with 30-40K OCIs. With 218K when sold the shifting, both up and down was fine.

Maxlife

Best bang for the buck. It has improved my shift quality over Supertech. A little crisp at first but it has settled in to like new shift quality.

I'll drain and fill 4 quarts about every 30k now. Every 20k before synthetic.

You should also get the Dorman transmission pan, which includes a drain plug, so you won't have to remove it again. You have the AX4N, right? Dorman part number 265-803.

Maxlife is great stuff. Valvoline also makes Napa's house brand ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back