Mercon LV UOA 57k Ford Transit 250 EB with 6r80 trans

Yep, I have my indy dump and fill the Escape. About a $100 proposition, mine was done at 55k miles and he said it needed it for sure. Used Valvoline fluid, LV equivalent.

I would do drains and refills and in the process switch to an LV fluid that has more phosphorus anti-wear chemistry such as Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, or even MaxLife ATF.

This is basically what I've been doing with my 2016 Escape's 6F35. I D&R'd it at 16K...again at 33K and again recently at 50K adding LG red each time. I plan to do it every 25K from here on. I've been using Castrol Full Synthetic which is MerconLV approved although I don't know if it's high in phosphorous. I think a regimen like this should keep the tranny in good shape.

I trusted the Ford maintenance schedule on our Transit van and was waiting until 100,000 miles for a dealer flush and fill. The torque converter started shuddering at 75,000 miles. I didn't know what it was until about 100,000 miles when it got so bad that I had to investigate.

Took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a new transmission. Did my research that suggested that transmission additives or a flush/fill would remedy the situation. I returned to the dealer and hounded them until they did a fluid flush/fill (which they said would do nothing). It took about 500 miles but the shudder went away completely. That was 15,000 miles ago. I'm about to drop the pan, change the filter and add a weld-in bung to begin doing my own "drain & fills" at 20,000 miles intervals.

Last edited:
The 6R80 is sensitive to fill levels (supposedly) and the tiny plastic dipstick is a under a bolt on the passenger side of the transmission near the pan. With my wife's Expedition, it's right next to the catalytic converter and you have to check it running while hot so it's a huge pain to check the level. Welding gloves are highly recommended.

I wouldn't bother with dropping the pan. I use a a Miti-Vac extractor to do partial changes. I do it cold and measure what I take out and replace with the exact same amount fluid. Each change removes just shy of half the fluid. I would still recommend checking the level but make sure the fluid is fully up to temp by driving a good long way first.

The Ford dealers around here are not very willing to do fluid changes either. My brother has a newer F150 that takes the ulv fluid. He had about 50k on the truck and called the local dealer about changing the fluid. They said why do you want to change it? They said we don't recommend changing the fluid unless you are having issues. Its crazy to me that a dealer would turn down PM work. Guess they would rather you buy a whole new trans when it fails from lack of maintenance.

The Ford dealers around here are not very willing to do fluid changes either. My brother has a newer F150 that takes the ulv fluid. He had about 50k on the truck and called the local dealer about changing the fluid. They said why do you want to change it? They said we don't recommend changing the fluid unless you are having issues. Its crazy to me that a dealer would turn down PM work. Guess they would rather you buy a whole new trans when it fails from lack of maintenance.
Well duh, fluid exchange = $100-150 shop fees + fluid

Transmission replacement = $1500-2000 shop fees + trans

Money makes people do bad things.

Back