Mercon 5 in camry '07

So I bought a used camry with 107,000 miles and mistakenly bought mercon 5 instead of the recommended valvoline multivehicle. I asked the worker at advanced Auto parts if valvoline mercon 5 was the right fluid, and she asked me if it was an automatic transmission. I said yes, so she said I'd be good. After pouring about a half a cup of the fluid in I stopped and looked at the bottle which read "recommended for ford vehicles". I stopped pouring and panicked. So, I wanted to know if mercon 5 is okay for my 07 camry. And if not, is a small amount enough to cause significant damage?

Last edited:
I seen someone put Dexron 6 in a Toyota once it didn’t do anything to it but it also probably didn’t help it and he came to our dealership with the same thing lol saying the guy at the auto parts store said it was ok as long as it had fluid in there. That’s GM fluid. I would get the Valvoline or Castrol or OEM fluid for it. I don’t think it would hurt but I don’t know that I’d take a chance.

Welcome to the forum! Also we need some more information. Are you preforming a atf change or just topping off? If topping off you have a leak that needs fixed, if changing the fluid I would just shrug it off and drop the plug and change with the Valvoline multi vehicle. There is maxlife and a dedicated Asian multi vehicle formula. Both are fine in this application.

Welcome to the forum! Also we need some more information. Are you preforming a atf change or just topping off? If topping off you have a leak that needs fixed, if changing the fluid I would just shrug it off and drop the plug and change with the Valvoline multi vehicle. There is maxlife and a dedicated Asian multi vehicle formula. Both are fine in this application.
I was adding some transmission fluid because I just bought the car used. I was not doing an atf change.

You can have too much fluid if you just put some in. The usual process to check it is to get on a flat surface and get it up to temp. Then put the car in either park or neutral and it should be in the hash marks. If not top off in cup increments. If it continues to be low you have a leak. Too much fluid will cause it to foam and can cause problems with shifting.

Make sure whatever fluid you buy meets Toyota "type WS" which I believe is what is called for your 07 Camry..

I seen someone put Dexron 6 in a Toyota once it didn’t do anything to it but it also probably didn’t help it and he came to our dealership with the same thing lol saying the guy at the auto parts store said it was ok as long as it had fluid in there. That’s GM fluid. I would get the Valvoline or Castrol or OEM fluid for it. I don’t think it would hurt but I don’t know that I’d take a chance.
Dexron VI is specified for many older Toyota cars.

Probably not, but if you're really concerned, drain a couple of bottles of ATF out and refill with 2 bottles of WS.

Or Dexron III...

Or Dextron III according to some. . :LOL:

The lady's 98 Camry for Warren oil Dexron III in it.
Right, but since DEXRON III is no longer licensable and has been superseded by DEXRON VI, there you have it.

Dextron, dextrose, it's all the same ;)

I know Dexron III or Dextron is no longer licensed...

Dextrose is still licensed though...

But I would rather run a Dexron III in that car.

I run Dexron VI in my power steering system that calls for it.

Back