Mercedes Upgrads Engine Oil Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
V2012.1??? Doesn't align with their typical naming convention.

The V2012.1 is just some updated MB publication that details all the MB specs such as 229.5, 229.51, etc.

When you pull up the V2012.1 doc (below), you will just see all the current (old) MB specs. I'm not really sure what's changed. Is the article claiming that it is now tougher to get an oil certified for a particular MB spec, despite the fact that the spec number stayed the same, ie. a 229.5 spec from 2012 is not the same as a 229.5 spec from 2010? I'm confused...

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/gow.cfm?z=lubritec,590987,0,5701376,b11

I agree that it is confusing. My take is that they will be demanding better oxidation control, less wear, reduced gelation with cooler temperatures, less ring sticking, better tolerance to bio fuel dilution and other criteria but not demand it for another year. They are giving oil vendors time to meet the new specification.

Interesting that despite all these "improvements" they state that it will require a thinner oil. This has certainly been a trend for the last decade. Despite the thinning of oils the performance in test engines and in real engines continues to improve. Successive API ratings have demanded improvements despite thinner oils.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back