Mercedes Mobil-1 "M" Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was visiting a Mercedes dealer yesterday (thinking about buying a 2012 or 2013 E350 Convertable [Cabriolet]) and saw that their parts department has quart bottles of Mobil-1 M for sale. Can't remember the oil weights but the "M" stood out. Is this oil any different from the M-1 you can buy anywhere? Next time I go, I will ask to look at the bottle to see if it is made in Germany or the USA.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Was visiting a Mercedes dealer yesterday (thinking about buying a 2012 or 2013 E350 Convertable [Cabriolet]) and saw that their parts department has quart bottles of Mobil-1 M for sale. Can't remember the oil weights but the "M" stood out. Is this oil any different from the M-1 you can buy anywhere? Next time I go, I will ask to look at the bottle to see if it is made in Germany or the USA.

M1 is not made in Germany. If it's M1 0-40, it's the same world wide.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

It is Mobil1 M ESP 5W40. It is designed for diesel engines and it is Made in USA.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is Made in France or Finland.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Nope. It is a different grade of M1, supposedly only at M-B dealers. It is not a mid/low saps oil, as it is 229.5 approved

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

I actually was going to pick some up at my M-B dealer while buying parts, but M1 0w-40 works so well and I bought 25 quarts of it when Walmart had it on rollback.

+1. Good stuff, but I bought the M1 0W40 and have been very happy with the UOAs that the 0W40 has shown.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of THE VERY BEST motor oils in the world that will make MOST engines happy.

IMHO, only Redline can best or challenge it.

It is THAT GOOD an oil.

And Mobil 1 15W-50 is also their "best oil." Same as the 0W-40 comments, I give to it.

MB FF is M1..

Originally Posted By: splinter
Note 5W-40 Formula "M" is a low-SAPS formulation blended primarily to meet M-B's 229.51 "diesel" specification.

Others fulfilling 229.50 specifications in the M1 lineup (e.g., 0W-40) are better suited for gasoline applications imho.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

No. The Formula M is not a 229.51 oil. The formula M-ESP is. Formula-M is not listed in the product specs, just the formula-m esp is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901
No. The Formula M is not a 229.51 oil. The formula M-ESP is. Formula-M is not listed in the product specs, just the formula-m esp is.

Duly noted.
Not coincidentally, our OP’s Mobil 1 “Formula M” has been discontinued, superseded and according to our local wholesale distributor, “no longer available.”

The aforementioned link from March 2014 is now dated and ostensibly applies to North American NOS/inventories not yet depleted.
Thus, as many have discovered, “Formula-M is not listed in the product specs.”

Nevertheless, current 229.5 and 229.51 approvals are easy enough to ascertain.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

Its also interesting that xom claims 229.5 compliance when 229.5 requires saps to be at least 1.0 and tbn of at least 10.

Maybe they are claiming compliance with some old 229.5 spec revision. Anyway, it doesnt matter as this oil is now discontinued.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Mercedes guys all know the M is best...

But they usually won't admit it.

cool.gif
Good one
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back