Mercedes CLA 250 at 100k miles; unknown oil unknown miles

Hello friends here is the first UOA on the wife's
CLA 250 new to us with exactly 100k on the odo.

Unknown oil out mileage unknown had a Valvoline oil sticker in the window but to faded to read had to get it changed out for peace of mind

Had lots of STP EURO 5W40 left over from the VW Passat going to do a 3k run and a UOA to post up and see if the STP shows good numbers as I have lots of it on hand

Let me know what the BITOG minds think about the posted UOA and if anything looks out of safe levels
20220322_225103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My youngest son ran off somewhere NAPA sent a PDF .... I am not exactly certain how to post it up in a format for you guys to see

I was also thinking to try for 5k on the STP EURO but wanted some opinions as it of course has no MB spec or certs

I was also thinking to try for 5k on the STP EURO but wanted some opinions as it of course has no MB spec or certs
Because they didn’t pay extra for those certs knowing that nobody is gonna pour STP into a Benz. 😆🤣

But I’m sure the oil itself is perfectly up to handle it.

Because they didn’t pay extra for those certs knowing that nobody is gonna pour STP into a Benz. 😆🤣

But I’m sure the oil itself is perfectly up to handle it.
It gave me zero issues for over 150k miles on two different 2017 Passats until they both were a loss one by a hail storm and one a texting teen

I do have a round of Liqui Moly Molygen ready to go in but can't stand to let the STP (Amalie) just sit

Once I can figure posting the UOA up here we can see if I should do a few short OCIs

I will say this from what I could visually see on the dipstick and under the cap/ valve cover
There was a dark redish varnish nothing bad and did not wipe off easily ......since the new oil when checking the oil and cleaning the dipstick from handle to tip a lot of the previous dark varnish wiped off effortlessly unlike before the oil change and the fill cap is now oily and moist where as before the change it was very dry and had the same redish varnish

I am hopeful the previous owner did not neglect the Intervals .....

Make at least one more run to 3-4K to flush out what was in there before before doing a UOA again. that way you know the results are only the STP and not something else. 99.999% chance the STP is fine at shorter 3-5K OCIs.

Nothing to see hear. Move along..move along folks.

SN+ A3/B4 - You should be able to run this oil out to 10k miles.

Remember for the most part it is the miles/hrs of operation which are indicative of the performance of an oil.

Nothing to say other than it looks like a typical fresh MB 229.5 oil and may have been parked and/or cold started a bit based on on Iron to TBN ratio (I'm not familiar with this engine).

I don't really see a need for less than 5,000 mi oci on a 229.5 oil even with mostly city driving but 3,000 mi is fine if it makes you feel better.

At the dealer, we see the M270/M274 engines getting high miles on bulk 229.5 oil w/ the typical 10k/1 year recommended OCI. If they have issues, seems to be at lower miles and once you get "up there", the engines just keep kicking along.

At the dealer, we see the M270/M274 engines getting high miles on bulk 229.5 oil w/ the typical 10k/1 year recommended OCI. If they have issues, seems to be at lower miles and once you get "up there", the engines just keep kicking along.
Good to know thank you for the info
Could I ask you a few MB questions about my 2.0 PCV system in a private message ?

Nothing to say other than it looks like a typical fresh MB 229.5 oil and may have been parked and/or cold started a bit based on on Iron to TBN ratio (I'm not familiar with this engine).

I don't really see a need for less than 5,000 mi oci on a 229.5 oil even with mostly city driving but 3,000 mi is fine if it makes you feel better.
Thank you for the response and breakdown of the UOA

I Plan on using up my stash of the STP Euro on 5k intervals and have Molygen on deck after that I also had the chance to get bag in box Lucas 0w40 Euro for a good price but Lucas gets bashed here due to the oil stabilizer so I passed even tho I actually prefer to support American petroleum companies when I can

But I must say I couldn't resist the Molygen for at least one time not 100% on what I will go with when my stash is depleted once I get my STP UOA back and it shows good numbers I may just continue to stock back up on it since My VW passats never had an issue on the stuff since the first change

Thank you for the response and breakdown of the UOA

I Plan on using up my stash of the STP Euro on 5k intervals and have Molygen on deck after that I also had the chance to get bag in box Lucas 0w40 Euro for a good price but Lucas gets bashed here due to the oil stabilizer so I passed even tho I actually prefer to support American petroleum companies when I can

But I must say I couldn't resist the Molygen for at least one time not 100% on what I will go with when my stash is depleted once I get my STP UOA back and it shows good numbers I may just continue to stock back up on it since My VW passats never had an issue on the stuff since the first change

Good to know thank you for the info
Could I ask you a few MB questions about my 2.0 PCV system in a private message ?

If you're asking about the common issue of the crankcase vent valve actuator blocked, that is the most common issue on this engine. Not cheap to fix and MB only sells it as an assembly which is quite a lot of work to replace/labor intensive.

Feel free to PM.

Back