Mercedes Bluetec Diesel 2010 229.51 Req'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
My choices for oil are Mobile 1 ESP 5w30, Mobile 1 ESP formula 5w30 ( for a little while), Mobile 1 ESP 0w40, and Valvoline MST 0w40. I am thinking about using the Valvoline in the summer and the Mobile 1 5w30 in the winter. I do not know a lot about oil, so I was hoping some of the experts could help me. Thanks Roger

Originally Posted by NH73
I would just stick to one. Whichever the recommended viscosity.

Yes but which one, they are all Ok with MB

Originally Posted by RogerBacon
Originally Posted by NH73
I would just stick to one. Whichever the recommended viscosity.

Yes but which one, they are all Ok with MB

Whichever you can find readily available for a good price. The 229.51 approval guarantees quality. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L comes in jugs and is always available at walmart (I think in Canada too now?). SAE grade doesn't really matter for 229.51 and most Euro approvals. They are all essentially the same viscosity (they're either a thick 30 or a thin 40).

Last edited:
I'm not one of the forum lubricant experts but I do run a Bluetec 2.1L diesel in a W205 C class and have done a few oil changes myself now that the vehicle is out of warranty. I still use either approved oil or in the last change "recommended for" 229.51. You will find that most if not all of the MB 229.51 approved oils meet ACEA C3 spec.

All my fills have been 5W30, I live in a fairly temperate climate without extremes of temperature, so no real benefit on going up to 40 at the high end or down to a 0W at the low end. I've used the following oils and I really don't have any evidence from the UOA that one is better than the other; I'm a believer that if you use any of the reputable brands with a weight and specification for your vehicle and change the oil regularly you are unlikely to have problems. I've never had an lubrication related problem in over 30 years of car ownership.

- Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30 MB 229.51 Approval
- Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro Flex XTL 5W30 MB 229.51 Approval (also MB 229.52 approval)
- Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 Ester Synthetic 5W30. ACEA C3, recommended for MB but not approved

I would like to try the Valvoline but most of their oils are over-priced here in the UK compared to EU / global brands like Fuchs, Mannol, Shell etc.

Of the oils you suggested I would run the 5W30 Mobil 1. If your car is sitting outside in well below freezing temperatures then you may benefit from a 0W30 but there will be fewer oils available that meet 229.51. Castrol Edge Professional or Titanium and Shell Helix Ultra come to mind.

Originally Posted by RogerBacon
My choices for oil are Mobile 1 ESP 5w30, Mobile 1 ESP formula 5w30 ( for a little while), Mobile 1 ESP 0w40, and Valvoline MST 0w40. I am thinking about using the Valvoline in the summer and the Mobile 1 5w30 in the winter. I do not know a lot about oil, so I was hoping some of the experts could help me. Thanks Roger

ESP Formula is probably best you can get.
Valvoline 5W40 MST is also very stout oil. In your climate I would stick to ESP Formula. 5W30 or 5W40 in summer as pointed in Euro engines is really not important as they are thick W30 or thin W40. However, Mobil1 managed to get C2 approval for actually very thick ESP Formula which means bump in mpg and I noticed that while using it in my BMW X5 35d compared to other oils including Valvoline 5W40 MST that I also used.

Valvoline MST also comes in 5w-30. Since you are in Canada, I would use a 5-30. Either Mobil 1 esp or the Valvoline MST.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Why did you get rid of your BMW diesel??

Needed bigger vehicle. Will get 335i with stick shift. Will not be able to drive Toyota as daily driver too long
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back