Mercedes Benz "new strategy"

I'm talking about this statement you made.

"In most countries MB is the only game in the household."

"Most"countries ..... really? The only game? No other German Marques? no high end japanese, bentley, jag, rolls just benz?
I am talking about people that buy MB, it is only car in the household. If they chose BMW it is BMW, if they chose Honda it is Honda. That si my point.

Ehh, not to stereotype or anything, but there’s now a real problem with German business ethics. Even by American standards, which is saying something.

There was a time when legendary durability was one of the things that gave Mercedes it’s luxury cachet. Those days are long gone. Their engineering prowess is overrated in my opinion. It’s also a much more competitive part of the market than it was in the late 1980s when Japanese competition arose. Their product line now is too big to develop and manage properly.

In those days Jaguar was rapidly falling off the competitive quality mark while Volvo and Citroen kind of nibbled around their ankles. American cars had not been competitive for about 25 years. They had a huge profit margin and could afford quality control (and lots of managerial mistakes.)

BINGO.

The reason for MB to exist in the private passenger car market was gone a couple of decades ago.
While the quality isn't quite as bad as it was during the mid 2000s, it's still poor, and the build quality and durability of the cars today are
just terrible, and styling is kitchy to say the least some of the interiors are flat out garish and ugly!

I am talking about people that buy MB, it is only car in the household. If they chose BMW it is BMW, if they chose Honda it is Honda. That si my point.

Ok I didnt close the gap between what you meant and what I read.

Id agree most countries don't have mutiple autos per household and that an electric probably isnt the best single car solution.

Dave

There's no new strategy, they're basically becoming an interim society by now that needs to somehow transfer customers, subsidies etc. and to shift those customers, customers' kids, misguided juniors, politicians etc. – currently losing their orientation – via projections to their notified new era of much leaner electrified mobility. Etc. pp.
Essays in the end about trying to keep the future somewhat branded with their symbols. They're trying to not torpedo that current alignment still selling cars, but that's about all in this regard. MB is no longer talking much about your current orientation.

Last edited:
There's no new strategy, they're basically becoming an interim society by now that needs to somehow transfer customers, subsidies etc. and to shift those customers, customers' kids, misguided juniors, politicians etc. – currently losing their orientation – via projections to their notified new era of much leaner electrified mobility. Etc. pp.
Essays in the end about trying to keep the future somewhat branded with their symbols. They're trying to not torpedo that current alignment still selling cars, but that's about all in this regard. MB is no longer talking much about your current orientation.
Blingo- what the heck are you talking about?? Just wondering....LOL

GM's Standard of the World may outshine finitude in a more transparent manner when ending its CT6 early, ZF be ending all development of traditional transmissions without needing so much planetarium, aquarium,.. but Mercedes is Mercedes with obvious needs. Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt :)

One would be right expecting less rolling coal around Stuttgart than around US diesel universities. Rallies to deal with over here "beim Daimler", around Bosch and Porsche are known for german brown for quite some time. Disintegrative systems can love stars about as much as scapegoats. Such a Källenius from the top is dealing with multitudes and some customers' peculiar perspectives are only so and so worldshaking actually.

Last edited:
OK. So then why is MBZ investing so much on electric?
They must be seen as being "Current" but the eCar as it is today is a no go, the ONLY way for an eCar to succeed is when it becomes a fuel cell, hydrogen preferably, MB has them, but the infrastructure isn't there yet. Toyota is already there in Calif. The fuel cell is what gives you range and the ability to refuel and still be young when the tank is full. :rolleyes:

They must be seen as being "Current" but the eCar as it is today is a no go, the ONLY way for an eCar to succeed is when it becomes a fuel cell, hydrogen preferably, MB has them, but the infrastructure isn't there yet. Toyota is already there in Calif. The fuel cell is what gives you range and the ability to refuel and still be young when the tank is full. :rolleyes:
It seems every major car company in the world disagrees with you. Including the great, legendary Mercedes Benz.
Not to mention hundreds of thousands of customers who love their EVs.

Nope.

Hydrogen lost and for good reasons.

You can buy a lightly used mirai for about 3500.

Seems to me these days, if you are semi-affluent, or better and not sure exactly what make of care you want then the overwhelming choice seems to be to get a new Mercedes. Buyers aren't that sure why, but some combo of safety, reliability, status, prestige, etc. is what gets them. All of the TV shows & movies with the lead character cruising around town in a Mercedes doesn't hurt either.

I think there is a longish list of vehicle manufacturers that wish they had these sort of problems.

It seems every major car company in the world disagrees with you. Including the great, legendary Mercedes Benz.
Not to mention hundreds of thousands of customers who love their EVs.
Sometimes you have blinders on, look at the sale of the Prius. It was great in the beginning, but it only appealed to a certain set of buyers. Once that market filled up, sales were on the decline and still are. There's a limited market for electric cars. Wouldn't work for me because I don't have a place to charge it in the city. Once the market gets saturated, sales will decline. It remains to be seen when that happens. First mover advantage doesn't always last, look at Altavista, Wang, etc.

Fuel cells have a huge host of problems not the least of which is the fact that most hydrogen is produced through methane reforming and thus not very "green". EV's and hybrids are doing much better in terms of market penetration than fuel cell cars.

You got to spend energy to crack it from water.
Then store it and move it under high pressure
Then move it to another high pressure tank in the car.
The convert it back to electricity to move the car.

Easier safer and cheaper to just store electricity to begin with.

Hydrogen negates one the few absolute benefits of an EV - fueling at home.

OK. So then why is MBZ investing so much on electric?
Who said here electric is not future?
I mean seriously? Also there is more to a car than just battery. Like assembly. TESLA might find that concept interesting.
There is more to a car market than just a trend for a people who drive 3 other gas guzzlers. I am not seeing in your signature 4 Tesla's. Why don't you get 4 Tesla's and let us know how is it going?
Someone needs to fill that gap, make vehicles for people NOW, and end up with complete EV line up. That will not be Tesla.

Last edited:
Who said here electric is not future?
I mean seriously? Also there is more to a car than just battery. Like assembly. TESLA might find that concept interesting.
There is more to a car market than just a trend for a people who drive 3 other gas guzzlers. I am not seeing in your signature 4 Tesla's. Why don't you get 4 Tesla's and let us know how is it going?
Someone needs to fill that gap, make vehicles for people NOW, and end up with complete EV line up. That will not be Tesla.
I was just asking your opinion. You mentioned the 1 car household and Tesla being a trend.
I agree, Tesla needs competition; competition makes for better products.
So far, everyone else has failed. Miserably.
I also agree a car is more than a battery, which is why cars like the e-tron and new MBZ are disappointing; they are electrified existing vehicles.
And poor at the most important EV measure, range.
I don't need 4 Teslas, thank you. One is fine for now. The Roadster 2 would be on the top of my list, however.
Tesla's assembly plants are the most advanced in the world, according to experts like Sandy Munro.
According to him, this is a huge advantage.
You understand, I believe, that Tesla owner satisfaction is far ahead of any other car manufacturer, right?
According to CR, Mercedes is far down the ranking. I believe this article is addressing this point, among others.
Tesla Customer Sat

Thanks for your points.

Last edited:
Sometimes you have blinders on, look at the sale of the Prius. It was great in the beginning, but it only appealed to a certain set of buyers. Once that market filled up, sales were on the decline and still are. There's a limited market for electric cars. Wouldn't work for me because I don't have a place to charge it in the city. Once the market gets saturated, sales will decline. It remains to be seen when that happens. First mover advantage doesn't always last, look at Altavista, Wang, etc.
Prius was one of the top selling cars for over 10 years and spawned tons of hybrids for most manufacturers. And today, Toyota makes the best hybrids. Huge demand for hybrids. Prius pioneered, perhaps created, that demand. And with an ugly car, in my opinion.
Every car, every product appeals to a certain set of buyers.
Every car, every product is affected by market saturation. And product lifecycle.

Last edited:
Prius was one of the top selling cars for over 10 years and spawned tons of hybrids for most manufacturers. And today, Toyota makes the best hybrids. Huge demand for hybrids. Prius pioneered, perhaps created, that demand. And with an ugly car, in my opinion.
Every car, every product appeals to a certain set of buyers.
Every car, every product is affected by market saturation. And product lifecycle.
Prius sales peaked in 2013 at 236k per year. Last full year was 2019 at about 67k. Probably part of the tread of sedan sales going down.

And yeah, Prius was ugly. Model 3 isn't that much better. Those stock black wheels are awful, even if it wasn't black, it's an awful looking rim.

Back