Mercedes-Benz (M-B) oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This list appeared in the November-December 2003 issue of The Star, published by the Mercedes-Benz Club of America. These oils "were added" as approved for '98 and newer M-Bs with FSS, the Flexible Service System:

Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.1
Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 229.1
76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.1
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0W-40 229.1
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15W-50 229.1
Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 229.1
Castrol Syntec 5W-50 229.1
Castrol Syntec 10W-40 229.1
Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30 229.3
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 229.3
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 229.3

The biggest surprises were the appearance of the dreaded "Q" and "V" oils.
grin.gif
And no Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Red Line? Or were they on the original list? (Remember, these were additions.) And what about German Castrol?

Thanks for the posts, thanks Quatro Pete.

I am more curious, about why the Q and V "dreaded" line. I know the crowd was a bit down on V, but both have shown OK UOA's...especially Q. (I think there were a few mediocre V's with lot's of "weak add pack" comments)

I have to admit that I am swayed by the M-B listings because they do give a good SPECIFICLY FOCUSED indication of how well an oil performs...and one of my cars IS German: an Audi. However, always keep in mind that M-B testing is just that: testing oriented to their engine design, construction materials, service monitoring systems AND a specific oil filter...see the caveat in the 229.5 listing. You should play close attention to ACEA testing as that better indicates the qualities of an oil in general applications.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back