Mercedes Benz Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils chart

I don't own a Mercedes, but I thought I'd share this, which I stumbled upon. I think it's a pretty handy reference if you're trying to select an oil with a particular MB specification.

The default for the chart is the MB 229.71 specification. I was sort of surprised how some of the big name oils are NOT listed (i.e., Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.).

I hope it's helpful.

:)

Ed

The default for the chart is the MB 229.71 specification. I was sort of surprised how some of the big name oils are NOT listed (i.e., Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.).
It is such a small market, it may not make sense for Pennzoil or Castrol or Valvoline to certify, pay for licensing and ensure adequate distribution of 229.71.
When I was managing the MB Sprinters with the 3.0 diesel, it was hard to find a 229.51 spec oil. MB dealers carried M1 "M" and Valvoline has MST.
This oil was about $10 a quart, for a fleet of 400 Sprinters.

I don't own a Mercedes, but I thought I'd share this, which I stumbled upon. I think it's a pretty handy reference if you're trying to select an oil with a particular MB specification.

I hope it's helpful.

:)

Ed
As the other poster mentioned, MB 229.71 is not a common spec. Look at the more mainstream 229.5 and 229.51 and you will see a lot more of the familiar oil brands.

Back