Mercedes Artico Leather

Good Morning!

My neighbor bought a new Mercedes crossover. Forgive me for not remembering the model number, but it is a C Class, (I will post later when I can remember....lol).....anyway the interior is a light colored man-made material called Artico.

I have to say that Mercedes has outdone themselves with this product. It looks, feels, and even smells like real leather.....at least the interior did. I am amazed at how good these new technology interiors are getting. I must say that is a far cry from Alcatara......which was really revolutionary in it's day.

I am curious what any other BITOG members might think whom are familiar with this product.

MB-Tex is a very good fake leather. You can't even tell it isn't real leather. MB Tex is the best fake leather out there, and it is very durable and lasts a very long time.

Yes, both Mercedes and BMW do a really good job with their fake leather, though BMW tends to give you real leather seating surfaces once you hit a certain price point, while Mercedes doesn't.

It used to be really good. Lasted a long while in the W211, but in the W212 it got worse, the seat cushions would rip with the MB-tex which didn't happen with real leather. Consensus was that MB just had the seam too tight and it didn't stretch much. Couldn't sew it up again because it would have to be even tighter and it'd just rip again.

Just read about how MB is introducing lots of alternative materials in their new electric vehicles..."leather" made from bacterial processes and the like. My concern is no track record for how it will hold up long-term.

Just read about how MB is introducing lots of alternative materials in their new electric vehicles..."leather" made from bacterial processes and the like. My concern is no track record for how it will hold up long-term.

Great point about how long it might last. Look what happened to Volvo changing the insulation on wiring harnesses to something that was soy based.

Back