Mercedes 00098988 replacement for Ford PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m hoping someone has the knowledge to advise me on this issue please. I`ve got a 2005 Ford with filthy PS fluid which needs replacing. My Ford handbook says the fluid spec is WSA-M2C-195-A.
I can`t even make out the original colour this might have been – the fluid looks like a powdered graphite cocktail!

I`ve got about a gallon of this stuff:
Febi 08972 Power steering oil Mercedes 00098988 which is described as oil based. The bottle has application recommendation as:
Dexron II
Voith 55.6335 (standard drain)
ZF TE – ML 09, 11, 14A,03D, 04D, 17C

I have found an application/cross reference for PS fluids
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.3_en.html

which gives the Merc fluid as being compatible with Fuchs Titan PSF.

The data sheet for the Fuchs from
http://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITAN-PSF_e.pdf
says it is `miscible and compatible with
conventional branded power steering fluids
`.

So although this is a sort of step removed from a direct match I`m hoping I can go ahead & use the Febi fluid for a clean start in the Ford.

If I do a complete drain, seafoam flush & refill can I use the Febi in the Ford system with no danger to seals etc?
I`ve has a little experiment in a glass & the Febi mixes completely with a small sample of the dirty fluid.
I`m hoping this makes sense & you can advise.
Many thanks if you can assist, Julian

Ive used that fluid often in my MB cars. MB gives a nice, easily removable/replacable PSF filter and an easy to view reservoir on the older cars at least.

Id say the big question is how Dex II compares. That fluid is, IIRC, effectively undyed Dexron II fluid.

The most important thing right now is to get clean fluid in the system. If it's noisy or performs poorly with the Benz stuff, try something else.

The Ford 195 fluid needs a viscosity of greater than 6.8 cSt at 100C and greater than 5.3 after shearing tests. Cold temperature viscosity needs are less than 20,000 cP at -40. Any legitimate power steering fluid which meet those specifications will work fine. Legitimate PSF have additives for corrosion, wear, seals and stability. The viscosity change on different fluids.

Thanks very much for the informative replies - I`ll go ahead & do the change to the Febi Bilstein fluid. It`s a complex world out there for PS fluids, when I was running Saabs the ATF / original PS fluid (pretty much unobtainable) debate went on for years.
I think we need a way of categorising fluids similar to blood typing...
Thanks again in helping out with my first enquiry on the forum, Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back