Merc 2000? 2-stroke..

Gents..
I am a TOTAL newbie for outboard motors.....
Ive just acquired my F-I-Law's Merc 9.9, 2 stoke... [ + boat ] .... best guess is circa 2000 as per Merc website as I used the serial number.
It looks in great shape... its clean.. but hasent been used in ..mmmm maybe 5-8 years+...
took the top off .. fuel filter looks good../ some old fuel was present.... will do spark plug // lower end oil //
the gas tank will be emptied and used for camp fire starter..

where do I go from here..???
Any suggestions appreciated
Cheers
J.
Here's what to do. Buy a Mixing bottle to properly mix the oil and gas. Quicksilver premium plus 2 stroke oil for the gasoline. Quicksilver sae 90 gear oil for lower unit.. You can buy all tis stuff at your local Academy. Hope this helps

For oil go to Canadian tire and they have several good options for marine use. Shell nautilus, motomaster outboard, Castrol super outboard, etc. Check the marine aisle for a 2 stroke mixing bottle usually made by seasense. Makes it foolproof to mix gas.

OEM impeller kit ordered... 170 bones..!! yikes.. and wont be in until end of june
but i see same kits on Amazon. 50-60-ish... good?? or forget about them.?
That seems pretty unreasonable. I'm thinking an impeller should run around $20 or so. I'm thinking you got the impeller, and housing. Perhaps a water pump rebuild kit!

That seems pretty unreasonable. I'm thinking an impeller should run around $20 or so. I'm thinking you got the impeller, and housing. Perhaps a water pump rebuild kit!
yes .. it was the entire kit...and its a Quicksilver brand.... not an OEM from Mercury ...i felt I was soaked a bit...
Most likely going to Amazon next time 60% less.....

Half the reason to change the impeller is to take the lower unit case apart. So it does not get stuck on and difficult to remove.
Sounds reasonable.. i have no idea if the lower end was ever serviced... I did loosen the bolts and the units seemed to release fairly well.

If when replacing the impeller now or in the future, if you find parts of the vanes missing then you need to do more work to find the missing pieces.

A plastic bag covering up the water inlet has toasted more than one impeller.

Done.... the impeller kit when in..
and not sure what to think... either the low end did get serviced... or .. there is just that little hours on the motor..!?!?
I expected to find a a rather worn impeller... and it seemed to be in good condition.. no visible wear and the rubber seems flexible...

Attachments

• 20210703_183126[1].jpg
    20210703_183126[1].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210703_183145[1].jpg
    20210703_183145[1].jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
People use there boats less than 50 hours a year on average, at least in places where you cannot use it in the winter.

With only 50 hours of use and no running the engine without cooling water it will probably not look worn most years.

Running in shallow sandy water where the skeg may kick some sand into the cooling water may also cause wear.

The problem with impellers is you can’t easily check them and if you do pull it apart to check you might as well pop a new one in. They are super critical so they need to be paid attention to. I don’t think I’ve ever paid over $20 for an impeller.

The problem with impellers is you can’t easily check them and if you do pull it apart to check you might as well pop a new one in. They are super critical so they need to be paid attention to. I don’t think I’ve ever paid over $20 for an impeller.
Agreed.. if youre in that deep to check.. just do it... I paid 200 bones for the complete OEM kit... :-/....
Its going to be just the impeller next time me thinks... or I will taking a closer look at the Amazon kits...

First boat ride was a success..!!
Motor ran beautifully.... :) 30 min ride.

One observation..... doesnt matter if it was at idle or WOT... the cooling water jet seemed to cycle from a strong jet of water to 50% and back up again... normal operation..or..... something else...
Thx

Back