Memtest86 found 5 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a used Dell Latitude D810 that was not wanting to shut down with XP Pro. I pressed the power button to manually turn it off, then it was hanging before loading Windows. I had an Ubuntu CD and ran Memtest86. It immediately found 5 errors. I am not sure how to interpret these findings. I still have a warranty at Ebay through the seller. Any guidance would be appreciated.

BTW, I am running Ubuntu on a live session from the CD. Maybe this is my computer telling me it wants to run Ubuntu.

Usually if memtest finds errors, the ram is bad. Contact the seller and let them know you are having issues with the computer and what you've done to test. If they are a good seller, they would replace the ram at that point.

I had a similar situation at work with an HP desktop... Windows started acting crazy with errors... booted an Ubuntu CD and memtest found numerous errors.. I contacted HP, they sent me new ram, popped it in, and Windows started running normally.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I'd expect a replacement if I were you.

Nice laptop, BTW. The D-series are pretty solid machines.

It has a tank like feel when compared to other laptops I have used. The hand rest stays very cool and it is easy to type on.

Yeah, my D600 is a beast. I support a couple hundred D600 and D610 laptops at work and aside from the odd hard drive or memory failure they take a beating and keep on ticking. Keep a good amount of ram in it and blow the dust out of the cooling fan from time to time and that thing will last forever.

Try pulling and then re-seating the ram module(s). If there is more than one, swap slots.

Find a program called CPU-Z. Run it and record the SPD memory timing values.

If you're comfortable getting into the BIOS, look for a memory bus ratio and/or timing screen. Reduce the memory bus speed and/or increase the timing values shown in CPU-Z. If there is an option, bump the memory voltage a tenth of a volt or so.

If you're still getting errors (do they occur at the same address each time?), you've got hardware issue. Try to get the vendor to send you some new ram.

Good luck.

I did pull 1 gb of ram and the 1 gig remaining had no errors according to Memtest86. I will have to see about the other things you are talking about. I already sent an email requesting replacement ram. I recently had a stick of ram go bad in the first computer I built. Corsair had me run Memtest to confirm it was bad before they would give me an RMA. With computers, there always seems to be a strong learning curve with new things.

Just an update. Did not get a written response to my problem with the ram. However, I received a Fed Ex box today with a new stick of ram. All is good. This machine is working very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back