Memphis trip

My girlfriend and I are taking a weekend trip to Memphis July 1st-3rd. i’ve been a few times but its been years. I just wanted to get an idea of the best places to eat and things to do that arent too touristy. I was thinking of getting ribs at Charlie Vergos but heard its a tourist trap.

Three things we definitely want to do: visit Graceland (I’m a huge Elvis fan), eat a burger from Dyers and eat some good bbq. Ive heard nothing but good about Tops, Central, and Leonards bbq. So wheres the best burgers, bbq, overall places to eat, and things to do? Thanks guys.

Carry extra bullets.

I've never felt unsafe in Memphis, but then I'm from the STL area.

Been to Beale St several times. Had a blast watching Karaoke @Jerry Lee Lewis' place. Not going to be the drunk Karaoke singers. The first guy that got up said he was in town this weekend but played JLL in the Million Dollar Trio show in Vegas.

Similar acts got up throughout the night.

Do keep your head on a swivel and don't drink too much and you should be fine.

I've been to Graceland enough, but if you've never been, it's worth it to see that money cannot buy style. The old Sun recording studio is a worthy tour. If you have any interest in guitars, the Gibson factory tour is worthwhile.

If you like baseball, catch a Memphis Redbirds game to see players who may move to the big leagues soon.

Just walk up and down Beale St., stop in as many of the clubs as you can, sip a beer and listen to some awesome Jazz. I love doing that in Memphis.

The Metal Museum is an interesting place to visit. It is on 3 acres, near the river, has a sculpture garden and displays concerning metal ornamental art. We found it very interesting and worth the time spent. Admission is around $6 or so.

Central for the BBQ... Vergos for the experience.

We went to Vergos before regular hours one day..... it was pretty neat, but the BBQ at Central is way better.

^^^ I'll second the Peabody hotel.
If you have a chance, a martini at the Lobby Bar during the "Shift Change" of the ducks is quite an experience.

Another solid bbq recommendation is at Corkies. Their cheese, grape, and sausage platter is a great way to start your meal.

On Beale, there is a place that sells "slushy" alcoholic drinks to go. One of them is named "Call a Cab". Drink at your own risk. 😀

Back