Memories of my first wax job

That’s the first wax I used, around 1995, when I was 16.

My dad wasn’t a “car guy” (he would take the family Plymouth Voyager through the local tunnel wash every other Saturday morning or so), so I had to learn on my own.

I got that paste in every nook and cranny it was possible to
That’s the first wax I used, around 1995, when I was 16.

My dad wasn’t a “car guy” (he would take the family Plymouth Voyager through the local tunnel wash every other Saturday morning or so), so I had to learn on my own.

I got that paste in every nook and cranny it was possible to get it in, LOL!
I know what you mean. I’m always finding old spots that I didn’t wipe off in seams. I do like the design of the container, it gives me retro vibes.

I remember I bought that Auri informercial polish after watching it a million times. I was 16 or 17 years old then, I think. Thanks for the memories. I used Rain Dance for my new-to-me Pontiac Fiero and my Mom's Olds Calais afterwards for a few years during that era.

Elbow grease on my body is starting to wear out and the effort it takes with new TW ceramic hybrid spray wax is so much easier. Thank goodness for technology.

My 1st new truck when I graduated college - a 1990 Ford Ranger -- waxed with this stuff:
1619412820340.jpg

Does anyone remember the originall blue corral.. It was a three step process... Took all day to apply...

2005 C240 with turtle wax super hard shell.

Didn’t know much about detailing back then. That can lasted me 6 years.

It’s crazy how I used to get away with only waxing once every year and a half with a cheap wax that only lasts a few weeks.

I definitely remember my first wax job. I was "awarded" the task of hand waxing my dads 64 galaxie with a pretty heavily oxidized red single stage enamel paint job. Took me a week doing it sections at a time 1-2 hours a day. I used meguiars cleaner liquid wax and several microfiber applicator pads, it did the trick but was slow hard work. I was around 10 or so when this took place the first time. Fast forward 15 years later I still find it just as quick and easy to apply wax by hand than with a machine. However since then I've learned it's a lot more efficient to use a compound to buff the oxidation and scratches away before applying the wax...LOL

I remember using Mr. Zog's Sex Wax circa 1986. As a ten-year-old the product name made me giggle but it was the best surfboard wax around. The family car, an S-Class, got some kind of Turtle Wax at the time. Waxing that beast took me a whole afternoon.

Last edited:
Like many others my first waxing experience was with Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell on my '77 Buick Regal. I used the liquid variety instead of the paste and would apply the wax to one or two panels then buff it off before it had a chance to harden.

It was spring 1997 the car was a mid to late 80s saab 9000 it was red but you would not have known it because it had oxidized pink. It had not been washed in over 3 years. So as a joke I washed it. I realized that some of the pink was coming off just washing. So i grabbed the polishing compound and found quickly it was a deep red underneath. I scrubbed washed and polished then applied kit wax as I recall. The owner was a friend of my parents. They had all gone out to dinner and drinks for about 4 hours. She knew i was washing it. I was just about done when they got home she was laughing hysterically asking how long had i been working on it. I replied the whole time you were gone. Her car was red again and she washed it once a month till it died.

Back