Memories of my first wax job

I’m sure many of us have a similar story. I was about 10 years old when this happened.

One summer day my brother and I decided to wash the family car, a 54 Chevy Deluxe. We gave it a good wash and decided it needed a cost of wax. Dad had a can of Simoniz in the basement so we grabbed that and went to work. We waxed the entire car and decided to take a break as it was pretty warm out. Maybe an hour later we went back to get the wax off and shine the car up.

Those of you old enough to remember can guess what happened. It took us hours to get that wax off. We really didn’t get it all off either. That car had wax streaks for a long time afterwards.

It did build up our arm muscles though. Anyone else with a similar experience?

My first waxing experience was with Rain Dance paste. Didn't go on, or come off easy, if memory serves. Don't know what kind of paint was on my Mother's '72 Monte Carlo (in 1977) but it did actually have a clear-coat like finish to it. The wax didn't bake on like OP's, but it took 3 people with old t-shirts to get it off. And it probably remains in the cracks and crevices to this day.

I remember helping my neighbor wax his 58 Impala, I was about the same age as PimTac. The first time I used Kit car wax. The wax was really creamy and went on and off easy and gave a good shine. ;)
KIT_CARNAUBA_CAR_WAX-900x1119.jpg

Reactions: JC1
I got to use both the KIT and the SIMONIZE. Both were about the same pain in the ass to get off. Hated the stuff. Then came Armor All. You could "wax" a car with that and it lasted about a month. But it sure shined the first week!!

I remember helping my neighbor wax his 58 Impala, I was about the same age as PimTac. The first time I used Kit car wax. The wax was really creamy and went on and off easy and gave a good shine. ;)
View attachment 47931
I used the same thing in high school, i thought it was the bomb. Until i learned i had to do it every 3 weeks to keep up the shine.

My earliest memory does not include the wax I was using, just the car and waxing of it. My new to me, pride and joy Datsun 240Z. Nice spring day, waxing it in the shade, all was well. ...until I noticed that a small stone was embedded in my applicator. The whole front fender was covered with swirly scratches and zigzag patterns. Doh! I couldn't polish it out, so I had that reminder for the rest of the years that I owned it. Learned a valuable lesson, though. Never happened again!

My first wax job was after I drank too much at a party(chest hair you sickos lol).. Also included various marker art drawn on chest arms and face.

Note: didnt drink that much at next party.

My very first wax was Turtle Wax Paste wax using a dish washer sponge as an applicator. And yes, dont let it dry for too long lol.

I don’t remember using any wax prior to this stuff but my memory is a bit shady.
I don’t even remember if it was hard or easy to take off. I do remember it was supposed to be the best.
That was in the middle 60’s; who’d have thunk then that a water thin wax like TurtleWax Seal and Shine would blow it in the weeds?

D4852ACA-4885-4757-B123-1F35EC9AECC0.jpeg

My first wax was on the old mans Hurst Olds, took 3 days for my arms to recover.

s-l1600.jpg

View attachment 48348I used Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. I had no idea if I was doing it right or wrong, eventually I got the hang out it. Now I use Meguiars Spray Wax because I’m lazy.
That’s the first wax I used, around 1995, when I was 16.

My dad wasn’t a “car guy” (he would take the family Plymouth Voyager through the local tunnel wash every other Saturday morning or so), so I had to learn on my own.

I got that paste in every nook and cranny it was possible to get it in, LOL!

Back