Memorial Day Reminder

Memorial Day.jpeg

Lest we forget.....

Memorial day is for the fallen in uniform, or fallen as a result from combat at a later date.

Freedom is unquestionably not free, and others have made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live in a free country, with the full ability of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Forever grateful and very deeply so for those that gave all so we can live free.

Lest we forget.

Last edited:
The Veterans cemetary where I used to live also had the graves of many Confederate soldiers. We celebrated their sacrifices too. The first name was Decoration Day in recognition of the soldiers fallen during the Civil War.

stars and bars.jpg

wikipedia

Everyday is Memorial Day for me, not just the last Monday of May.

It always got under my skin when someone said "happy Memorial Day". That indicated they did not know the true meaning of Memorial Day.
My wife's niece did that on Facebook a couple of years ago . I told my wife to call her and tell her to take that **** down . She did .

A few years ago a national chain who will remain nameless ran an ad campaign this time of year.
The last sentence, voiced by a perky woman said the following: "To all our veterans, happy Memorial Day!"
I contacted them immediately and was less than civil in my critique of their lack of understanding of the holiday.
Never saw that ad again

i always remember my tiny, scottish, maternal grandmother on memorial day. when i was 5-6 years old we all went to a memorial day observance near her home in boston. she wore her ww1 medal on her left side and other medals on her right side. i asked her why. she explained that the medals on her right side “belong to your grandfather and uncle.” a canadian citizen, she was a ww1 u.s. army nurse in france and siberia. my grandfather, a ww1 u.s. army officer, never recovered from t.b. that he contracted in siberia, and was a patient of hers in vladivostok, and then died in 1928. her oldest son, my maternal uncle, was killed in a nazi p.o.w. camp in 1945. despite her greivous losses she remained a gentle sweet woman her entire life.

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
i always remember my tiny, scottish, maternal grandmother on memorial day. when i was 5-6 years old we all went to a memorial day observance near her home in boston. she wore her ww1 medal on her left side and other medals on her right side. i asked her why. she explained that the medals on her right side “belong to your grandfather and uncle.” a canadian citizen, she was a ww1 u.s. army nurse in france and siberia. my grandfather, a ww1 u.s. army officer, never recovered from t.b. that he contracted in siberia, and was a patient of hers in vladivostok, and then died in 1928. her oldest son, my maternal uncle, was killed in a nazi p.o.w. camp in 1945. despite her greivous losses she remained a gentle sweet woman her entire life.
Jstert, the love is for your maternal grandmother on Memorial Day, and the rememberence, dignity, and respect she paid to the fallen in your family, and I am sure all around them.

Back