Memorial day ads

Is there no Memorial Day ads this year?? I have not seen an ad this year for Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. Nothing in the mail, paper or online.

Needing to buy a trimmer, weed killer, and some charcoal. Seems kinda weird.

With the current economic climate, I'm not sure why retailers are NOT using every excuse to push products. I was hoping for Black Friday-like deals, but I haven't seen anything worthwhile lately.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
With the current economic climate, I'm not sure why retailers are NOT using every excuse to push products. I was hoping for Black Friday-like deals, but I haven't seen anything worthwhile lately.

Yeah doesn't make sense. I was hoping to get some mulch on sale.

Businesses are trying to figure out ...well...everything. I am also surprised that big sales are not going on, but I guess companies are accepting the fact that sales will be slow until consumers feel confident to spend at normal levels again. If they give it away now, then no one will pay higher prices in a couple of months.

Around here, most of the larger retailers are having to restrict foot traffic by limiting the number of people inside the store at any given time. This results in long lines forming outside, waiting to get in. My guess is generating ads would only lead to longer lines and more customer frustration.

Also, most retailers are not doing very well right now, so putting stuff on sale would just further diminish profits. Most people are not going to open up their wallets anyway unless we start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, IMO.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Around here, most of the larger retailers are having to restrict foot traffic by limiting the number of people inside the store any any given time. This results in long lines forming outside, waiting to get in. My guess is generating ads would only lead to longer lines and more customer frustration.

Also, most retailers are not doing very well right now, so putting stuff on sale would just further diminish profits. Most people are not going to open up their wallets anyway unless we start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, IMO.

I know a few weeks ago I drove to Home Depot, took one look at the line outside the door, and drove the half hour to go home, empty handed. Not going to stand in a line for anything I don't need.

Odd time, eh? It's almost like they are better off figuring out a good price and holding that for a long time, and stretching out the sales (as in, products sold, not a "sale" at reduced prices) over time, so as to have a continuous stream of traffic that won't overwhelm the sales floor (or shipping dept).

Around here, most of the larger retailers are having to restrict foot traffic by limiting the number of people inside the store any any given time. This results in long lines forming outside, waiting to get in. My guess is generating ads would only lead to longer lines and more customer frustration.

Sorry, I was specifically thinking of online-only sales (with free shipping).

Pushing stuff for cheap being a less-than-optimal idea didn't stop Sears from selling me a bunch of stuff in 2017 and 2018 with matching points that I used to buy even more stuff for cheap! Poor Sears...I don't think they'll survive this...

No line here at Home Depot at all. It's a big free for all. No mask needed, hangout as close as you want to other customers. All good.

Originally Posted by FADEC
No line here at Home Depot at all. It's a big free for all. No mask needed, hangout as close as you want to other customers. All good.

36.gif

Originally Posted by supton

Odd time, eh? It's almost like they are better off figuring out a good price and holding that for a long time, and stretching out the sales (as in, products sold, not a "sale" at reduced prices) over time, so as to have a continuous stream of traffic that won't overwhelm the sales floor (or shipping dept).

Yup, stuff seems to be flying off the shelves as is as people continue to stock up, so there is no reason for retailers to put it up on sale.

Pushing stuff for cheap being a less-than-optimal idea didn't stop Sears from selling me a bunch of stuff in 2017 and 2018 with matching points that I used to buy even more stuff for cheap! Poor Sears...I don't think they'll survive this...

Sears has been circling the drain for a long time. I am honestly surprised they're still around.

Sears has been circling the drain for a long time. I am honestly surprised they're still around.

Yep. I'm kinda surprised they haven't quit during this shutdown--just what is keeping them going? Must be a bigger plan than sales.
21.gif

Originally Posted by supton

Yep. I'm kinda surprised they haven't quit during this shutdown--just what is keeping them going? Must be a bigger plan than sales.
21.gif

Maybe they're waiting to see if there is some kind of stimulus package coming up that will allow them to grab some free cash before they close the doors.

Maybe they're waiting to see if there is some kind of stimulus package coming up that will allow them to grab some free cash before they close the doors.

Could be. Maybe some loyalty to current employees, keep it going for as long as possible.

Or maybe the land the stores is built is valuable, and they're waiting until the right time to flip 'em. Pure speculation on my part--that used to be true in the past, but I suspect the business case for retail space like malls is in bad shape right now.

Who knows.

Home Depot and Lowes (and probably many others) announced in March that they were squashing their huge Spring sales promotions as part of their effort to limit crowding at stores for virus reasons. That happened just as the HD near me had a gazillion pallets of 5 for $10 mulch delivered to the parking lot. Those pallets are still sitting there. Given the previously squashed spring sale, and the unknowns due to virus, they are probably continuing that policy. Maybe we'll see a great Father's Day Sale? They usually have good stuff then.

The big boxes here are all packed as it is. Why have sales when people are already clamoring to get in and spend?

Big box stores by me doing brisk business at full price no reason for sales. I read somewhere outside furniture,pools stuff like that is up 270% compared to last year don't know if that's true..I'm in a white collar town NYC suburbs people are investing in there backyard's. The thought of going to the public beach or pool not interesting anymore. I bought a pool last month online waiting for installation.

Yea, I was taking a heckuva risk making large purchases from them, since the points (hundreds of dollars) was spread out over up to a year.

Back