Memorial day ads

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Maybe they're waiting to see if there is some kind of stimulus package coming up that will allow them to grab some free cash before they close the doors.

Could be. Maybe some loyalty to current employees, keep it going for as long as possible.

Or maybe the land the stores is built is valuable, and they're waiting until the right time to flip 'em. Pure speculation on my part--that used to be true in the past, but I suspect the business case for retail space like malls is in bad shape right now.

Who knows.

Sears under Cerebrus (the morons that also brought us the Chrysler Sebring) sold their real estate and agreed to lease it back.

Originally Posted by FADEC
Is there no Memorial Day ads this year?? I have not seen an ad this year for Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. Nothing in the mail, paper or online.

Needing to buy a trimmer, weed killer, and some charcoal. Seems kinda weird.

Ended up going to Tractor Supply. They had a small but decent ad. Got everything I needed except charcoal.

I noticed an interesting thing. We always look at the sales paper of our grocery store before going. From March onwards, the typical 10 page sales paper had reduced to one. One page. This is because people were all binge buying stuff. Profit, profit, profit. No reason to put up sales when people are already walking into the stores and buying everything in sight at whatever price. Now, when there are reduced people at the stores, the grocery store has increased the number of pages in the sales paper in order to incentivize people to shop/spend more.

Back