Membership to the Swirlo-O-Matic

Especially in the winter I occasionally go through an automatic car wash. I have found one that does not have people with brooms trying to pre wash or people drying on the exit. That helps a bunch I believe in keeping the paint ok. One of my main gripes is the wheels. No matter what automatic wash I use, they barely clean the wheels, put on tire shine, and it smears all over the wheels then slings up the paint. I have asked them to turn that off sometimes... I do think they do have some harsh chemicals and will swirl the paint more than a regular hand wash... but if you keep the paint protection up to snuff, then it should be fine.. Its hard to keep a balance of keeping up a car well and going overboard.
Yeah no doubt as I can't stand tire shine of any type. Have had it sling down the side of the car and clearly noticeable after being applied at those places... have seen driveway/parking lot (apt complex) staining from others using the crap as well. I don't get into the shiny bling factor as I like the tires to appear as the day they were put on the car.

soft99-tire-w1.jpg

no sling, good browning cover. matte finish.
spreaded very thin does revive plastic foot mats.

I’ve committed a sin for the detail section here in BITOG and got a $15/mo subscription at a swirl-o-matic car wash. Haven’t had a car I can take to the car wash in years. The Sonata, Genesis, and Tesla were all hand washed. Now with the 14’ Grand Cherokee, it’s only ever seen a standard car wash once every month or two for the last 4 years.

I figured the majority of the country takes their cars there and they look ok. The paint is already swirled and would need alot of correction to look correct. I think the gold paint helps a lot.

So how bad do you think it’ll be taking it once a week or so? FWIW the car wash I did it at is only a year old or so.

View attachment 81354

Any Updates?

I would say find a clean looking automatic car wash and use that. There is a new car wash I go to on my lunch runs, for $6 they wash the car. I pack microfiber towels and spray wax in the trunk to finish the job. Once a month good for me.

I'm not driving a lambo.

One of the largest car washes in my state is a client of ours. While teaching them a class one day, I asked them about the brushes on my truck paint. They showed me live video of people lined up with Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Some of those guys wash their car every day according to them lol. Yes, with that money they can afford to have paint correction done probably monthly.

I just stopped my membership because I don’t want to wash the Cosmo lean underbody treatment off. Then again, I’m not sure if it would.

I will be restarting it soon at the large car wash, $45 a month though. But they have three in my area compared to the one location for the company I just canceled.

Was a member of Mr. CarWash but not for long, lasted about 3 mo's and canceled, went about 2or 3 times. :LOL:

Just got a bunch of snow. It's supposed to rain later in the week, so when the white is off the road next week, through the no-touch with the bottom spray.

We have a drive thru car wash around here that claims their brushes are made of "horse hair". Uh huh, sure they are. Most likely they are a textile material that simulates horse hair but I still wouldn't trust them 100%.

I will use the high pressure wand at the local self-serve during the winter to spray the undercarriage. Otherwise, my car gets waterless washed every week or two and that keeps it clean. Washing cars at the house is severely frowned upon by the local water company and we are reminded a few times every spring and summer to not do it.

The local touchless washes use some really harsh soaps and I don't like the film they leave on the windows. I started waterless washing 10+ years ago and never looked back. At the very least I am supporting the microfiber towel industry :ROFLMAO:

Back