Meijer (Warren Oil Company) 0w20 FullSyn 14k OCI 150k '03 Focus 2.0 Zetec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone said they wanted more oil analysis' from less common companies (good idea). So here is an analysis of some Meijer brand full synthetic. At the time I purchased this (2017), the oil was made by "Warren Oil Company" which could be seen by the stamp on the plastic container. This will probably only be interesting to those in Michigan/Indiana(?) area. I know Meijer is not all across the US.

Details:
Meijer 0w20 Full Synthetic (Warren Oil Company)
STP Maximum Life Oil Filter - 15k mile rating
2003 Ford Focus 2.0L Zetec w/150k miles
OCI - 14,200 miles
Mix of highway and city driving with 1 winter

I was a bit disappointed they did not directly tell me to go more or less so can someone help me determine if I should go more or less miles on this oil? Can someone help interpret? They say "no trouble" but also say "aluminum was twice average."

[Linked Image]

03 Focus analysis.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Quite interesting. Would like to have had the TBN to see where the lubricant is in terms of active additive left to do the job.
thumbsup2.gif

OP You have to pay extra to get TBN in the test- which is the measure of alkalinity left in the oil.

UD

Viscosity and flash point are about like new oil here. No problem with those.
Iron wear is very normal. Your 24 ppm just scales with miles as you did about twice the normal oil change miles.
Silicon, like iron, can accumulate a bit over that many miles. Your oil filter lets particles about 1 to 20 microns in size continue to circulate.
Sure TBN would be nice to see, yet even it wouldn't tell us that much.
From this, I'd say don't take this oil past 15,000 miles just to be sure.
Switch to a Fram Ultra oil filter to upgrade filtering performance over the STP one you used, based on 4548-12 efficiency and grams held.

Yup 15K would be my limit on this oil without knowing a TBN or TAN. as the oil ages the metals/mile go up faster. another pushed to 19K (3X the 6200 mile reference) i suspect the metals would be larger than 3X. Looks like it held up well to 15K which is further than I would have taken it.

Not bad at all! Not sure one could get away with that in a newer car.....

Like pbm said, I'm impressed the abuse it took for a house brand oil. Might be worth a try.....

Originally Posted by pbm
... Is this oil made by Warren Performance (WPP, WNE) or the Warren Oil that makes Coastal, LubriGold, Lubriguard etc...?
The latter. They also made Rural King's store brand before Harvest King (from Citgo) replaced it.

Thanks for posting, good report, personally for me I wouldn't go longer on OCIs. Oil is cheap but Im a person who never goes over 6k OCi or 2 times a year, I may feel different if I had high mileage driving but my company provides a vehicle for that..

Im not surprised by the results, been saying on here for a while, the "old" days are over, it no longer matters about the price of oil, unless proven to be different, $10 a quart oil that meets the same API specs as $2 a quart oil is no better, everything else is theories, speculation and innuendo unless proven otherwise, which never is. :eek:)

Last edited:
I'd look for a intake leak; perhaps a small subtle one. The Si is just higher than what you'd want. I agree it's cumulative with the OCI, but it's still higher than what I've seen on a per-mile basis.
Nothing bad happening here; just might be able to make it even better!

Stating that general view often will not change the fact that many here place OEM specs over API … OEM's require PoP testing … those can be engine specific or engine categories included = lots of time and money …

Further … if people only support "blenders" over actual petrochemical companies … the industrial complex and eventually the consumer is at a loss …

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Not bad at all! Not sure one could get away with that in a newer car.....

Like pbm said, I'm impressed the abuse it took for a house brand oil. Might be worth a try.....

Pretty high calcium for a fair number of modern engines …
Would never go that long and not get TBN … but the UOA could cost more than regular oil changes at 10k … wash, rinse, repeat … I've always had the BrocL point of view and that's from underneath … not going to wait a year to have a look under the vehicle while changing the oil … (that OCI would be a year for me) …

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Iron wear is very normal. Your 24 ppm just scales with miles as you did about twice the normal oil change miles.
Silicon, like iron, can accumulate a bit over that many miles. Your oil filter lets particles about 1 to 20 microns in size continue to circulate.
Switch to a Fram Ultra oil filter to upgrade filtering performance over the STP one you used, based on 4548-12 efficiency and grams held.

So I no longer own this car, it is my brother's now. The good news is he said he'd still be willing to have me test the oil for my own curiosity, the bad news is that he is very rarely available and will just drive on the same oil until we can get a chance to change it (hence the random 14.2k OCI on this test). Now, this last oil change I put in the same Meijer 0w20 but this time had a M1 filter (it's what was available). So he may go less or more on this next change, we'll see.

Originally Posted by willistheguy
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

So I no longer own this car, it is my brother's now. The good news is he said he'd still be willing to have me test the oil for my own curiosity, the bad news is that he is very rarely available and will just drive on the same oil until we can get a chance to change it (hence the random 14.2k OCI on this test). Now, this last oil change I put in the same Meijer 0w20 but this time had a M1 filter (it's what was available). So he may go less or more on this next change, we'll see.

This would be a intresting test. I still recommend 12K OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back