Meguiars Ultimate Wax issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased some Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax in the spray bottle. Its a great product and I have used it before. However, as I went to spray it on my car I noticed it was clear, like water. It didnt have the same smell either, and I confess I even tasted some of it..it didnt have much taste at all. These are not easy open sprayers, they are designed NOT to open, so I seriously doubt anyone would have used this, then put water in and returned it as the sprayer will usually break when you try to unscrew it. I felt the finish afterward and it was not slick like it always is after applying it. Not very happy with this, I emailed Meguiars about it, hoping to hear back soon.

Very odd. I'd be tempted to purchase another bottle from a different store to compare. Seems like something fishy!

Not unheard of, some people just downright have no class nor ethics and will buy bottles of stuff and drain and fill them with water, sprays are easier to do this with than wax and return them just to get "free" product.

Last edited:
Came home from Walmart last week with a bottle of dog vitamins and found the seal broken and about half the tablets gone! Now thats really CHEAP!

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Came home from Walmart last week with a bottle of dog vitamins and found the seal broken and about half the tablets gone! Now thats really CHEAP!

Very cheap.
At least the dog waiting out in the parking lot was happy.

Yes, but have you guys ever used this type of bottle? You would literally have to break the bottle to get it open, It would be very obvious that someone opened it. This is why I say that it was Meguiars fault.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes, but have you guys ever used this type of bottle? You would literally have to break the bottle to get it open, It would be very obvious that someone opened it. This is why I say that it was Meguiars fault.

There is a thief for every d*mned thing these days, and they take it as a challenge to get around the prevention measures. Just because you can't see an easy way to take the top off the bottle without breaking it, some thief has found a way. They probably actually buy it, take it home, drain it and bring it back.

Just take it back to the store. I bet they see it every day.

I'm very experienced with Meguiar's "tamper" proof bottles they're all the same, it doesn't take a genius to open them. And right now I have on my very shelf several of them I refill with various detailing liquids because Meguiars spray bottles spray a very nice and consistent mist.

IMG_6959_zpsad1c1678.jpg

Notice the ratchets only go part way around? It's this way because you can't make them go all the way around because they wouldn't be able to ratchet the caps on if they did go all the way around.

Simply squeeze the area without the ratchets and unscrew, when the bottom of the cap passes the ratchets the cap is free to rotate without needing to squeeze. Easy. I found this out after throwing away a couple of empties tearing them up determined to refill such nice spraying bottles.

I highly doubt Meguiar's would let water just pass by their quality control line. I more believe that a persistent person of dubious ethics learned how to open these because they're determined enough to be so unethically bloody cheap and found out how to open these bottles trying to refill them and got the bright idea that they can now refill them from a new bottle and use the "big box lifetime warranty", ie buy a new item, swap in the old item and return. With a hard to identify liquid in a supposedly tamper proof bottle, it's made even easier and the clerks will never know unlike trying to return a broken car stereo or TV they can't just open it and look and see that the goods were swapped.

Thieves are smarter than you give them credit for.

Last edited:
Did you shake it up first? I'd try to return it and if that doesn't work go straight to meg's customer support and see if they will throw you a bone.

That said, I've found I *really* like using the UQW for cars which won't get the time/attention of a true wax (or as a quick fresh up of existing coat). So much that I've switching to D156 synthetic spray wax. Same or almost identical product in bulk form. Just BYOB (bring your own bottle).

I emailed Meguiars, they said they would send me out a free bottle. We will see how long it takes, hopefully not too long.

I recently purchased some Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax in the spray bottle. Its a great product and I have used it before. However, as I went to spray it on my car I noticed it was clear, like water. It didnt have the same smell either, and I confess I even tasted some of it..it didnt have much taste at all. These are not easy open sprayers, they are designed NOT to open, so I seriously doubt anyone would have used this, then put water in and returned it as the sprayer will usually break when you try to unscrew it. I felt the finish afterward and it was not slick like it always is after applying it. Not very happy with this, I emailed Meguiars about it, hoping to hear back soon.

You smell and taste car waxes?...I know people who are anal about their car wax, but this is beyond anal...

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm
I'd be cautious about tasting something like this. Might not be from the tap!

Ya think? Why anyone would taste a car wax is beyond me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back