Meguiars PlatX to restore headlights

Unless it's lightly weathered, I'd use a sanding disc first.
I've used PlastX on headlights, more for protection and/or VERY light polishing.

But I don't see it ever bringing a yellowed / moderately oxidized headlight back to anywhere near new finish. You need abrasives for that.

My gut feeling on the first video is that they didn't show the headlight after the moisture had completely dried. Sorta like putting water on a worn headlight, it looks good for a minute. I'm guessing after 10 minutes they were just as yellow and oxidized as before his quick hand polish.

Last edited:
comments are correct. not really abrasive enough.

This is the second time doing mine. (First time I used a 3M kit - and some light oxidation was returning). Plastx did an ok job, but it stuggled to remove even the sealant I applied a couple years back. the yellowing is not in the "headlight" portion of the lens, so I left it for now.

once you remove the protective coating, you really have to seal it. even with a sealant it yellows again within a few years. I have not figured out the secret there yet, and am just using spray wax.

I have used Plastx before and liked it, but as stated, only for very light work. Not very abrasive at all. The best use I had for it honestly was back when I still watched DVDs. It would clean them up reasonably well.

I've used it when I bought some on sale about 10-12 years ago. It's only OK and there are so many much better products & ways to polish headlight housings today that the Meguiar's is a moot product now. *Not that I think my way is better than the Meguiar's but, it's cheaper.

*I polish my headlight housings with ULTRABRITE Toothpaste w/ a buffer then coat with TWIS&S with the best results I've ever had. Still, not saying that this is the best way, it's just my way using what I have in the garage w/o buying more products.

Last edited:
I've used it when I bought some on sale about 10-12 years ago. It's only OK and there are so many much better products & ways to polish headlight housings today that the Meguiar's is a moot product now. *Not that I think my way is better than the Meguiar's but, it's cheaper.

*I polish my headlight housings with ULTRABRITE Toothpaste w/ a buffer then coat with TWIS&S with the best results I've ever had. Still, not saying that this is the best way, it's just my way using what I have in the garage w/o buying more products.

I use a tooth sealant for a U.V. protection . 😁

Last edited:
Back