Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 & Collinite Insulator Wax #845

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some Mirror Glaze #7 left over from efforts 10 years ago to wax Audi's without clouding.

I hand applied Mirror Glaze to well prepped Pearlescent White paint, and topped off using Insulator Wax #845.

I realize shine is subjective. But, it seems that the resulting shine is equal or better than new products from Chemical Guys, Meguiar's, ..., etc. And, application effort is not any greater than these new products.

Am I misleading myself?

Also, which Collinite wax produces the best shine?

Thanks.

I believe you.

However, Show Car Glaze #7 is meant to go on TOP of your wax.. it's quite literally a glaze you'd apply once your prized show car is sitting in a booth at the car show. The old schoolers would even apply it by hand (with their bare hands). This explains why it's such an oily pain to work with as a step prior to wax.

845 is great stuff.. supposedly it's just 476s with a "thinner" to make it easier to apply. So if you want the same shine + more durability then pick up a can of 476s Super Doublecoat.

Directions on the bottle state: "For tough, long-lasting protection, follow with an application of Mirror Glaze Yellow Wax (#26)."

So, I assumed it's OK to apply wax over Show Car Glaze...

Wax over #7 is fine as long as its not a cleaner wax. then it would likely remove the #7.

I did this for years with an acid rain pitted gray nissan sentra. It had white water spots that were pitted into the paint. the oils in the #7 would work into the pits and scratches and make them dark. Then a coat of yellow wax over the top sealed that in.

Good stuff for the day. Car was noticeably shinier than the other cars in the parking lot. made me smile!

Originally Posted By: knerml
Directions on the bottle state: "For tough, long-lasting protection, follow with an application of Mirror Glaze Yellow Wax (#26)."

So, I assumed it's OK to apply wax over Show Car Glaze...

Of course it says that, but on certain colors, where #7 streaks.. wax on top will lock in the streaks!

I've never felt that the factory instructions for #7 were correct.. spent too many hours trying to even out the high oil content.. so it's a topper when I do use it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Of course it says that, but on certain colors, where #7 streaks.. wax on top will lock in the streaks!

Had similar problems with 2005 Audi's Dark Blue Pearlescent paint. The Glaze would cause "clouding" that would be locked in by the wax.

Not having the same problem, that I can see, with my Hyundai's bright white paint.

#7 is for single stage paint, not modern paint. You can use it for a slight filling effect, but I don't think the results are worth the application process.

Much better option to find a wax/sealant that provides the shine you want in the first place.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
#7 is for single stage paint, not modern paint. You can use it for a slight filling effect, but I don't think the results are worth the application process.

Much better option to find a wax/sealant that provides the shine you want in the first place.

I have always used a cleaner or polish before waxing to 1) remove impurities and stains that clay misses and 2) provide a shine.

Should I be doing something different?

I have always used a cleaner or polish before waxing to 1) remove impurities and stains that clay misses and 2) provide a shine.

Assuming a clay bar process has been done...it depends what product is going on top of the glaze.

Here, I put Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid (a man-made polymer sealant similar to but not actually a true wax) on top of the glaze coat. I added a carnauba wax spray on top of the Meguiar's thereafter. The result is 2 coats of protection (including UV) on top of the glaze coat and a lot of shine.

If you were to use a wax instead of a sealant, it makes sense to use the glaze on top of whatever wax you apply - as several other folks here have recommended.

#7 is not the same formula it used to be, (VOC compliance), fortunately, I have a stockpile of the old stuff. #7 first, then a good coat of wax of your choice. #7 ALWAYS goes first, not the other way around. And yes, #7 can be use on base/clear modern paint and works great.

I just don't like #7. There's no "nourishing" modern paint, so why apply a product full of oils etc.

For a daily driver I typically use an AIO. One and done, simple.

I just don't like #7. There's no "nourishing" modern paint, so why apply a product full of oils etc.

For a daily driver I typically use an AIO. One and done, simple.

It is not for everyone, and I love the stuff as it has tons of cleaners in it. The whole "only for single stage paint" myth is quite old and it works very well for me as a full time auto detailer on modern base/clear paints. Great gloss also.

I use #7 on my old non-clearcoated Toyota, it produces a shine line nothing I tried before. I then wax over it to "lock in" the shine.

On clearcoated cars, #7 seems to do next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back