Meguiar's Iron Removing Spray Clay

Except it's just marketing. Most rust removal products are formulated with acid as the active ingredient and are not pH neutral.

The key thing is, you are only writing "iron" when this topic is about iron that has turned to a rust stain, as it always does if not removed immediately. Even the page you linked, states acidic pH for rust. Did you think all those manufacturers who use a acid as the active ingredient, never bothered to test their products and just did it on a whim?

Dave… every car Iron Remover for clear coat claims neutral PH. How is the weather in Cincinnati, kinda warm here in SoCal.

How does it compare to the Griot’s Spray product? I’ve used that one, and it works well getting brake/iron dust off my wheels. However, it’s a bit pricey and smells like a hair salon.

The hair bleach they use in hair salons use the same chemical although personally would not try to blend up a neutral PH with the proper dilution level. I do like being thrifty though. Do not use any wheel cleaner, must be safe for clear coat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
Here is another cheap iron remover. My guess is wheel cleaners have degreasers but if you are going to clay and apply wax should do fine. Just do not leave it on for the clay part. Meguiars seem to want combine clay lube and iron remover. in reality you want a pressure wash a chance to pull the iron out before the clay shears the iron particle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 7
Actually the iron once embedded in the paint will come off in your microfiber and creates swirl marks. You will wonder how those swirl marks have happened in your clear coat no matter how careful you are. It is not road dirt that did it. My neighbor’s black Audi is loaded and he cannot understand why.
Not true. If the iron is easily removed with washing, iron remover products would not be necessary.

Not true. If the iron is easily removed with washing, iron remover products would not be necessary.
Try the plastic bag trick… Clean your car well, soap contact wash. High pressure wash. Dry car with microfiber. Now put a plastic bag on your hand and lightly go over the clean paint. You will be able to feel the imperfections in the paint. Now use the iron remover and let it set for at least 5 minutes. Soap and pressure wash. Anyway what is truth?

Try the plastic bag trick… Clean your car well, soap contact wash. High pressure wash. Dry car with microfiber. Now put a plastic bag on your hand and lightly go over the clean paint. You will be able to feel the imperfections in the paint. Now use the iron remover and let it set for at least 5 minutes. Soap and pressure wash. Anyway what is truth?
Not sure if I follow? I have done this many times. No amount of contact washing using soap or even degreaser, will remove those iron particulates; the paint remains equally rough afterwards.

Not sure if I follow? I have done this many times. No amount of contact washing using soap or even degreaser, will remove those iron particulates; the paint remains equally rough afterwards.
Do you see the purple spots and runs? My understanding is different than yours as everyone’s understanding is different. Just sharing my view. Is it truth, it is true to me. I start my clay job on paint with a chemical loosening of iron containments. Rail iron and brake rotor iron is jagged in the microscopic size. The chemical loosening is the first part of the 2 step process. The second part is for the mechanical lifting of partials or shearing flat with the clay, but a pressure wash also helps lifting it out before that happens.. The final step after clay is to wax.

So… What is truth. Well… depends to you. You share your view and thanks for your input.

The particles are stuck on your paint, and they come off your paint in washing. The pressure wash gets some out, the microfiber gets some out. The chemical loosens the particles further. They come and go.

Last edited:
Here is another cheap iron remover. My guess is wheel cleaners have degreasers but if you are going to clay and apply wax should do fine. Just do not leave it on for the clay part. Meguiars seem to want combine clay lube and iron remover. in reality you want a pressure wash a chance to pull the iron out before the clay shears the iron particle.
Oops… this one is not a iron remover.

Back