Meguiar's Iron Removing Spray Clay

Iron remover actually creates rust that expands the embedded iron particles and removes the sharp spikes in the iron then when washed off loosens the iron. Thanks… Try a plastic bag on your hand on dry paint, before and after. You will be able to feel the contanimation.
Okay but that's just describing what the acid in it does, the same that would happen with a home brew.

I suppose if you detail cars for a living, a bottle of expensive, professional looking product creates a good appearance to customers, but if you just have a little rust to get off a personal vehicle, 32 oz of vinegar is $1 at Walmart and a dozen times more than needed to do a typical vehicle.

Once you have the vinegar, you can put the DIY solution in the professional looking spray bottle. ;)

Okay but that's just describing what the acid in it does, the same that would happen with a home brew.

I suppose if you detail cars for a living, a bottle of expensive, professional looking product creates a good appearance to customers, but if you just have a little rust to get off a personal vehicle, 32 oz of vinegar is $1 at Walmart and a dozen times more than needed to do a typical vehicle.

Once you have the vinegar, you can put the DIY solution in the professional looking spray bottle. ;)
Vinegar removes rust, iron remover creates rust. You can feel rust particles with a plastic bag on hand on your paint. Thanks… But share what you really use yourself.

Last edited:
Vinegar removes rust, iron remover creates rust. You can feel rust particles with a plastic bag on hand on your paint. Thanks… But share what you really use yourself.
They both work the same way, what you are stating is just marketing language. Iron remover typically uses the same (acetic) acid or another like oxalic, as the active ingredient. I use a white vinegar, detergent solution.

They both work the same way, what you are stating is just marketing language. Iron remover typically uses the same (acetic) acid or another like oxalic, as the active ingredient. I use a white vinegar, detergent solution.
So have you tried spraying iron remover?

^ I've used some product in the past but was so long ago, I don't even remember the brand. Why would it matter?

Same acid does same thing, whether pre-mixed for you at a price premium, or DIY instead, dirt cheap.

^ I've used some product in the past but was so long ago, I don't even remember the brand. Why would it matter?

Same acid does same thing, whether pre-mixed for you at a price premium, or DIY instead, dirt cheap.
They have cheap iron removers, one I have used for a while is Eagle 1 clear coat wheel from WalMart. about 6 bucks 23 oz.

^ It's still a waste of money. You're paying a premium for someone to sell you a dillute acid in a spray bottle that is very easily, DIY for pennies on the dollar.

$1 worth of vinegar is likely far more than any 1 vehicle needs in its lifetime. If you prefer to pay for something ready made, that's your option but at this point we are beating a dead horse.

^ It's still a waste of money. You're paying a premium for someone to sell you a dillute acid in a spray bottle that is very easily, DIY for pennies on the dollar.

$1 worth of vinegar is likely far more than any 1 vehicle needs in its lifetime. If you prefer to pay for something ready made, that's your option but at this point we are beating a dead horse.
Did you know that iron removers in the bottle are PH neutral?

But just for conversation…

^ That depends on whether it is acid based (as most are), or not. The majority are not pH neutral.

I feel we are both wasting our time. What I use, works and is very inexpensive. If you prefer something else, it's your money.

Let's be honest. Decontaminating your paint is great for beautification purposes, but it rarely improves the lifespan of the finish.

Reducing UV exposure and proper washing will make more of a difference than any clay or decontamination service.

^ That depends on whether it is acid based (as most are), or not. The majority are not pH neutral.

I feel we are both wasting our time. What I use, works and is very inexpensive. If you prefer something else, it's your money.
The answer is….

Let's be honest. Decontaminating your paint is great for beautification purposes, but it rarely improves the lifespan of the finish.

Reducing UV exposure and proper washing will make more of a difference than any clay or decontamination service.
Actually the iron once embedded in the paint will come off in your microfiber and creates swirl marks. You will wonder how those swirl marks have happened in your clear coat no matter how careful you are. It is not road dirt that did it. My neighbor’s black Audi is loaded and he cannot understand why.

I've noticed the commercial iron removers claim to show that iron is present because purple streaks will form when it comes in contact with the chemicals. Will vinegar do the same or is this some chemical based marketing? I will have to try vinegar next time, i have a spray bottle to clean my couther tops anyway. I can only imagine how many items we are buying that are basic chemicals you can mix up yourself. I understand tire shine might not be a DIY chemical but some cleaning products for sure.

Actually the iron once embedded in the paint will come off in your microfiber and creates swirl marks. You will wonder how those swirl marks have happened in your clear coat no matter how careful you are. It is not road dirt that did it. My neighbor’s black Audi is loaded and he cannot understand why.
How do you recommend avoiding this? Iron remover and then power wash to avoid pushing the iron with the towel into the clear coat?

How do you recommend avoiding this? Iron remover and then power wash to avoid pushing the iron with the towel into the clear coat?
That is correct… High pressure wash after Iron Remover on from 5-10 minutes. Do it when cool without sun, do not let the solution dry. Suggest lightly agitate with plush microfiber. Re apply to see how much iron left. Foam cannon first if you have one with a neutral soap. After wash clay the car to get as much loose embedded material. Like the original title of this post “Meguiar’s Clay Iron Remover” but you can just use a clay lube after the iron remover use.

Try not to get the Iron Remover on the black plastic trim. If you have to you can tape mask those spots off.

Back