Meguiar's Iron Removing Spray Clay

Works pretty good for something you grab off the shelf at Autozone or Advanced. You'd be surprised at the stuff that bleeds off on even a new vehicle (yes, rail dust and the like from being transported)

3vC7oyD.jpg

xMkpFAP.jpg

Probably cheaper to just buy some oxalic or acetic acid and make your own (add a little detergent). Acetic acid is also known as vinegar.

how is this different that iron-x?
where is the clay? or is that just marketing that you can skip clay barring.

how is this different that iron-x?
where is the clay? or is that just marketing that you can skip clay barring.
Yes, just marketing. It's not much different. Doesn't smell as terrible FWIW.

Nanoskin Iron Free is my choice for balance of effectiveness and cost.

I prefer not to play chemist.

Repainting a car is expensive.
Then don't spray on any iron cleaner product as they are acid too.

It is, just chemistry, like saying I prefer not to play auto detailer! ;)

Realize these products often have a roughly 1000% markup over what you can easily mix up at home. Out of principle alone I'd never pay that price, kinda like highway robbery for the uninformed customer.

Last edited:

Realize these products often have a roughly 1000% markup over what you can easily mix up at home. Out of principle alone I'd never pay that price, kinda like highway robbery for the uninformed customer.
I'll pay the markup for a fully formulated product, backed by a company's reputation.

I do not have the time, inclination, or skill to remake what I can buy off the shelf.

You blend your own motor oil?

You blend your own motor oil?

If I could do it in one minute and it then cost 1/10th as much, using what I already have in my home (as do most people) anyway, heck yeah I would.

People have been getting rust stains off with vinegar for... oh I dunno, over a century at least. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 1000 years... not exactly rocket surgery.

Rather than motor oil for comparison, it's the rough equivalent of buying pre-made dishwashing water, where you'd buy it by the gallon and the convenience is they already put the soap in it, because that's chemistry too, lol.

People who don't know what they're doing, are a marketing department's wet dream. People who were given the info and still don't know what they're doing, even argue against it, are a lost cause on multiple levels.

Last edited:

Iron remover actually creates rust that expands the embedded iron particles and removes the sharp spikes in the iron then when washed off loosens the iron. Thanks… Try a plastic bag on your hand on dry paint, before and after. You will be able to feel the contanimation.

Probably cheaper to just buy some oxalic or acetic acid and make your own (add a little detergent). Acetic acid is also known as vinegar.

This is what people used before iron removers became fashionable.

Back