Meguiars headlight coating

Has anyone ever used this product specifically? (Not the kits or polishes).

Kilmer is jumping up and down about it in his YouTube channel.
I just installed brand new headlights and was wondering if it's worth it's once a year claim to fame.
7bda78b1990823c8e37bc128f0db0b9e.jpeg

Thanks.

I have sprayed this product on a piece of Lexan and let it dry to see how thick it would go on, how evenly and clear it would dry, and how durable it was. This aerosol product releases a very finely atomized product, making application easy and convenient. The product goes on thin and evenly and is essentially invisible once it has cured. 91% isopropyl alcohol on a rag will remove the product without any effort. It's not a more permanent coating like regular clear coat. I did not try out if windshield washer fluid with alcohol would remove the product.

I have no idea how long this protective layer will stay on with normal use, regular car washes, with an average amount of rain, with sun exposure etc. I felt my method so far, using an acrylic paint sealant applied by hand and then buffed, was giving me a sufficiently durable result to not switch to the Meguiar's product.

We don't have the sun you guys get in the more southern states over there. But I've always sanded the headlights back until I have a nice smooth finish, usually working from 800 to 2000grit and then apply two coats of UPOL 1K UV Resistant Lacquer. Never had a failure after that.

About a year is mostly it in my experience if your prep work is good. Unfortunately like a wax it kinda degrades over the months and when it's gone the yellowing starts to come back.

I have used it as the coating to my headlight polish. I am pretty sure its just clear laquer - at least when I looked up the ingredients it appeared to match pretty closely and smells about the same - to me at least, I am no chemist. It will last a year depending on how much you drive - the abrasion from dust, etc seems to wear it away eventually.

Wet sand headlights with 600 grit to clean clear plastic and spray a 2k clear. Done. Pretty permanent and looks great. No need to sand higher than 600 because the clear fills 600 scratch no problem.

Wet sand headlights with 600 grit to clean clear plastic and spray a 2k clear. Done. Pretty permanent and looks great. No need to sand higher than 600 because the clear fills 600 scratch no problem.
What specifically is : "2K Clear" ? Brand , where to buy ?

I don't know much about the 2K paints, but Eastwood sells them.

2K clear is a two part epoxy paint where you either mix the two together for a paint gun, or pierce the inner chamber with a nub on the bottom of a spray can, so once it is mixed together you have limited time to use it.

Given the question this means you'd get the rattle can, and only use what you can within ~48 hours, so it is a bit expensive at ~$25/can unless you have a lot of headlights or other clear coat painting to do at once.

Some people have had luck storing it in the freezer after each use, warming it up before each use, and get 2-3 weeks out of a can before it goes bad (cures in the can).

Brands, most economical would be anything with a lot of good reviews on Amazon.

Personally, for maintenance after refinishing, I just use the same synthetic polishing/cleaner sealant pastes that are meant for body paint, applied every 6 mos. or as needed. There is no need to strip the old off, or mask around the headlight, and same product is great for protecting anything else that doesn't have clear-coated paint... tools, equipment, etc. You don't really want a polishing/cleaner for clear coat unless it's really bad.

Last edited:
We don't have the sun you guys get in the more southern states over there. But I've always sanded the headlights back until I have a nice smooth finish, usually working from 800 to 2000grit and then apply two coats of UPOL 1K UV Resistant Lacquer. Never had a failure after that.
I’ve done this, also using XXX fine steel wool, finishing with UPOL. Learned about it here on bitog. I’ve done it on several of my own and at least a dozen vehicles coming to the church needing help. The UPOL holds up, dries hard, doesn’t yellow.

Has anyone ever used this product specifically? (Not the kits or polishes).

Kilmer is jumping up and down about it in his YouTube channel.
I just installed brand new headlights and was wondering if it's worth it's once a year claim to fame.
View attachment 130767
Thanks.
I would install some Xpel film on your new headlights. I have a 22 yo BMW with "like new" original headlight lenses. I used plastic film on them since new, and replace every 5 or 6 years as it wears from sand blasting on the freeway.

I have more faith in SprayMax 2K clear, or PPG Omni/Deltron clear if you have the spray guns for it. Else, it’s the 3M/Cerakote wipes for me. Sand down to 3000 wet, wash with soap and water, then 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water. And then wipe on per instructions.

Back