Meguiars cleaner wax named best value by CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Does it work well as a cleaner and can it perk up dull faded paint? Or can you guys suggest something better that can be ultimately topped off with Collinite 845 for example?

It did a pretty good job of cleaning up my brother's Caliber, which hardly ever gets waxed (or sometimes washed). Brought it back to a good shine...

It is a fine product, megs cleaner wax. Top it with a pure wax/sealant or not it does what it claims very well.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Does it work well as a cleaner and can it perk up dull faded paint? Or can you guys suggest something better that can be ultimately topped off with Collinite 845 for example?

It did a pretty good job of cleaning up my brother's Caliber, which hardly ever gets waxed (or sometimes washed). Brought it back to a good shine...

Maybe the paint/clear coat is just dead, and needs something more aggressive. 23+ years old for paint is a long time.

I've used Meg's cleaner wax and topped it with Collinite 476. It lasted about 5-6 months.

Nothing wrong with the cleaner wax. They came out with it to skip the 3 step system, as far as I can tell. I've used the liquid and the paste.

It works well for clear-coated wheels.

This is a new CR issue? They had cleaner wax and nu finish at the top in the 90s sometime and we became a nu finish household. I actually never got that good of durability with nu finish. Can someone tell me what else what tops for durability?

CR basically only tested waxes and sealants that are available at Wal-mart, Target, OTC. The article is clear that none of them lasted a year, in fact they recommend waxing every 3 months. If you want the best durability and then you're going to have to purchase via on-line. Collinite has the reputation of the longest lasting wax (it will last 3-6 months) and the sealant Duragloss has the reputation of lasting a very long time (5-10 months). I applied both 5 months ago and my cars are still beading, despite the excessive summer heat. I do my cars every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: joaks
Is Megs Ultimate Wax included in this issue?

No. The only Meg products tested are NXT (which has terrible durability) and Gold Class, which also didn't last very long. In the article they are very clear that even the best for durability only lasted several months, so it seems that NuFinish didn't even last 6 months for them. Here is the quote:
"Most waxes we tested, however, showed a significant loss of protection within about 5 weeks; even the best lasted only a few months."

I really wish that they would have tested some of the favorite sealants at detailing forums that are unavailable at Wal-mart. Maybe next time. I am in the process of detailing my cars for winter and removing 5 month old sealant and wax that went the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back