Meet My FRAM Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The Fram OCOD is a basic filter good for short interval oil changes, though I have run oversize ones to 7500 miles in a pinch. It is unwise to stretch it past 5000 miles. I think the OCOD is better than STP E-Cores, though.

The Tough Guard is good to 7500 miles or so. It's actually a pretty good filter.

The Extended Guard will do 10,000 miles, and the Ultra 10,000 miles, maybe more.

The Extended Guard/Ultra are very, very good filters.

Correct! If you are changing your oil on the recommended intervals, the orange can is just fine.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Correct! If you are changing your oil on the recommended intervals, the orange can is just fine.

Correct! Of course, that can be said about just about every other brand of oil filter out there, even the ones that are much lower priced. Of course, a lot of Canucks don't have that choice, so I guess they never will find that out.

The STP E-Core is the only one I have in my stash that really creeps me out. It came free on a sale at Auto Zone. The holes in the retaining cage are huge, and I am sure they will bust out if pressure is too high. If I ever use it, it will be the last one from the stash, the thinnest oils will be used, and it will not be used in cold weather, and the OCI will be short.

The next filter in line for installation is an OCOD PH8A. It is very oversize for my application so it would be a far better choice than an OCOD PH3614 (which I have never bought). I also want to use the PH8A as it takes up too much room in the stash drawer.

The present filter in the car is a Mobil M1-102 Extended Performance that has gone about 12,500 miles now.

Once the OCOD PH8A is used up, I will perhaps reach for the Pure One in the stash, or a nice Wix one I have.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Correct! Of course, that can be said about just about every other brand of oil filter out there, even the ones that are much lower priced. Of course, a lot of Canucks don't have that choice, so I guess they never will find that out.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas that "us Canucks din't have a lot of choice?". We have plenty of choice. Probably just as much choice as you people in the US.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The STP E-Core is the only one I have in my stash that really creeps me out. It came free on a sale at Auto Zone. The holes in the retaining cage are huge, and I am sure they will bust out if pressure is too high. If I ever use it, it will be the last one from the stash, the thinnest oils will be used, and it will not be used in cold weather, and the OCI will be short.

The next filter in line for installation is an OCOD PH8A. It is very oversize for my application so it would be a far better choice than an OCOD PH3614 (which I have never bought). I also want to use the PH8A as it takes up too much room in the stash drawer.

The present filter in the car is a Mobil M1-102 Extended Performance that has gone about 12,500 miles now.

Once the OCOD PH8A is used up, I will perhaps reach for the Pure One in the stash, or a nice Wix one I have.

Nothing wrong with the orange can.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas that "us Canucks din't have a lot of choice?". We have plenty of choice. Probably just as much choice as you people in the US.

I'm not so sure. You can't find a Purolator anything here unless it's a Motorcraft or a Bosch, and the Bosch is rare enough. The Purolator issue is pretty much nationwide. Check any automotive forum and you'll see Canadians looking for Pure 1s, even in the Toronto area. K&Ns are no problem, nor is Wix. We don't have a lot of choice at Walmarts or Canadian Tire - Fram, Canadian Tire Fram (round two), QS, some K&N, and some M1. Look how long it took us to get M1 filters here. Try getting a Denso. How about a Mann or a Bosch for a non-European application? Where's the Distance Plus? Where's the NAPA Platinum? Walmart used to sell AC Delcos here. Now it's just Fram. Where are the Supertechs? How about the Purolator Classics? There is one retail source for Hastings here and one for Baldwin. There's one for RP, but only if I buy a case.

NAPA here doesn't stock the NAPA Gold or the Bosch for my G - they have to special order it. Considering that this filter crosses to about a billion OPE and agricultural applications, not stocking it in Saskatchewan is idiotic.

For my F-150, when any other brand or retailer can beat my sub-$5 price on the Wix 51515, then we'll talk.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For my F-150, when any other brand or retailer can beat my sub-$5 price on the Wix 51515, then we'll talk.

There is a little payback for you anyway. The Wix 51515/Napa Gold 1515 is about $6.50 here.

I've had the Orange can installed by WalMart T&LE on 5 different vehicles along with plain old Quaker State dino 10W30 for over ten years. Vehicles range from a 2003 Mustang to a 2001 XTRERA, 2006 LuCerne, 2009 Malibu, 2003 Park Avenue. I never knew I was having an "inferior" product installed until I got into BITOG because I never had problem one, and none of my cars used a bit of oil on intervals of up to 7500 miles.

Yes, I do get an exceptionally good deal on the 51515. A giant filter is under $5. For the dixie cup on my G, I pay substantially more.
wink.gif

Used to be a big FRAM fan boy back in high school. They were cheap and thought they were better than house brand filters, guess not. Thanks to the good ol BITOG reviews WIX goes in all my cars. I get them at fleet pricing at O'reillys so the cartridge filter for my ecotec is like 4 bucks and some change, and the others for my vortec 350 and GM 3400 V6 go for about 3 dollars and some change. Wix till my cars die.

Originally Posted By: TheThickster
Used to be a big FRAM fan boy back in high school. They were cheap and thought they were better than house brand filters, guess not. Thanks to the good ol BITOG reviews WIX goes in all my cars. I get them at fleet pricing at O'reillys so the cartridge filter for my ecotec is like 4 bucks and some change, and the others for my vortec 350 and GM 3400 V6 go for about 3 dollars and some change. Wix till my cars die.

Wix is nothing to brag about.

Yes I know but I get them cheap as fawk and they arent gonna come apart on me during extended OCI. So im happy. Could you happen to recommend me a better filter? You know we are all here to help.

Quote:

Because Canadian posters who have been members much longer than you, have long lamented the lack of choice and reasonable prices for quality filters north of the border. In fact, at least one Canadian poster says that when he crosses the border he picks up filters like the P1 for the return trip.

And while Wix may not be "nothing to brag about", I'd take a Wix/Napa Gold over an orange can anytime.

Fram is nothing to brag about either. In the end it's all personal preference.

You have recently joined and at this moment you have less than 100 posts. The majority of your posts have been praising the OCOD Fram and now you say that Wix is a below-average filter.
How do you think others on this site rate your credibility?

I know how I rate it.

You have recently joined and at this moment you have less than 100 posts. The majority of your posts have been praising the OCOD Fram and now you say that Wix is a below-average filter.

So, just because somebody is new on BITOG and have few posts, they know nothing about the topic? So, how about a user with 3000 posts but all they are is a bunch of "+1", "x2", or "me too" type of things? In your books, they are the oil/filter masters? Get a life! BITOG is not the MIT of this topic!

Someone who's so focused only on FRAM and constantly spews about how great they are is probably either a planted mouthpiece, or just doesn't have the whole spectrum of knowledge about all available oil filters to know there are better ones out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back