Specifics:
San Antonio Texas area
Retired military, been on Tricare Prime
Wife's turning 65 in November, so we have to "pick a plan"
Don't care about part D, meds are covered by Tricare for life
We're healthy, but on some meds for a few issues
Probably need to get vision/dental

What do you guys recommend?
I heard that "tricare for life is our supplement" and as such don't need secondary coverage, not sure, heard the rumor.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Searched the site for answers, none...

Specifics:
San Antonio Texas area
Retired military, been on Tricare Prime
Wife's turning 65 in November, so we have to "pick a plan"
Don't care about part D, meds are covered by Tricare for life
We're healthy, but on some meds for a few issues
Probably need to get vision/dental

What do you guys recommend?
I heard that "tricare for life is our supplement" and as such don't need secondary coverage, not sure, heard the rumor.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?
There are insurance agents that really know the details of stuff like this. They specialize in Medicare. I would ask around those who are already receiving the benefits who they use-locally.

Last edited:
No, no no! Coming up on Medicare age you will be inundated with calls and mail from people trying to sell you supplemental plans. You don't need an agent trying to sell you something that is useless to you.
Medicare Part A is hospitalization, costs nothing. Part B covers other medical expenses and is needed for Tricare for Life to kick in. You need to pay for and sign up for that. As you know, you don't need Part D. I either pick up my meds on base, or get a 3 months supply from Express Scripts for a nominal cost. You can also get them from a participating pharmacy, but it may have higher co-pays.
There are a few choices for vision and dental supplements. I use GEHA (government employees coverage, available to Tricare for Life people) for dental and FEP (Blue Cross) for vision, both through the government site.

No, no no! Coming up on Medicare age you will be inundated with calls and mail from people trying to sell you supplemental plans. You don't need an agent trying to sell you something that is useless to you.
Medicare Part A is hospitalization, costs nothing. Part B covers other medical expenses and is needed for Tricare for Life to kick in. You need to pay for and sign up for that. As you know, you don't need Part D. I either pick up my meds on base, or get a 3 months supply from Express Scripts for a nominal cost. You can also get them from a participating pharmacy, but it may have higher co-pays.
There are a few choices for vision and dental supplements. I use GEHA (government employees coverage, available to Tricare for Life people) for dental and FEP (Blue Cross) for vision, both through the government site.

ArrestMeRedZ Pretty much has it spot on.​

At 65 Medicare is your Primary and Tricare for life is your secondary nothing else required, as you stated Tricare is used for your meds. Are you using Express Scripts for your meds, get all your medications and refills thru the mail.

Retired from AD long time ago. Stayed on Tricare Prime until I turned 65. Virtually zero copays since then. Tricare for life will pay for your pharmaceutical needs with a small copay. I have a pension from Civil Service also that allowed me to sign up for Dental Dental. I get my medications from the Navy pharmacy nearby. Check out getting your medications from Ft. Sam. 🪖 Go Navy!

You & wife are in a good spot medical wise Señor.

Last edited:
Medicare Parts A and B.
Tricare for Life. (TFL).
Great coverage.
Maintenance Meds cost $10 for a three month supply,
Seldom used drugs that you get at drugstore also cost around ($10).
Don’t let insurance agents try to sell you anything.

You get this great perk due to you serving our country for your 20+ years service.

if one has access to both tricare and fehb, by virtue of being retired from both military and civilian federal service, be aware that one may suspend (not cancel) fehb upon getting medicare at age 65. all three coverages are superfluous. suspension allows reinstatement of fehb later if one, say, retires abroad where medicare is useless.

if one has access to both tricare and fehb, by virtue of being retired from both military and civilian federal service, be aware that one may suspend (not cancel) fehb upon getting medicare at age 65. all three coverages are superfluous. suspension allows reinstatement of fehb later if one, say, retires abroad where medicare is useless.

In this situation Tricare would be the one to use.

What do you mean "a good Medicare A & B for Texas?
Just to make sure, this is for the wife? Turns 65 in November right? Has Tricare for life right? We are currently in August which means her Medicare card should show up this month with an effective date of 11/01/2021. Along with Tricare, there will be nothing else needed to do, enroll or pick. She is done.

What do you mean "a good Medicare A & B for Texas?
Just to make sure, this is for the wife? Turns 65 in November right? Has Tricare for life right? We are currently in August which means her Medicare card should show up this month with an effective date of 11/01/2021. Along with Tricare, there will be nothing else needed to do, enroll or pick. She is done.

Just got off the phone with Tricare, she does have to call the SSN administration and start the process of applying for A & B. Once she has her medicare card, I call DEERS and make sure they have it in their system. That automatically takes care of getting her enrolled in Tricare for Life.

So that's it! Not too bad, thanks for the pointers! :)

Welcome aboard the world of excellent health benefits. Do you live near a military facility that has a hospital or clinic? If so, golden! My co-pay is $40 a year for one odd prescription. Medicare picks up the bills and Tricare pays what Medicare doesn't. The AF used to have an excellent hospital in San Antonio but I don't know if it's open since BRAC.

The military has very good benefits for folks that put in 20 years.

I was in the the Air Force and my wife is retired Air Force Reserves.

Last edited:
Back