Medical/Legal Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preface: I don't expect a definitive/conclusive answer to this question, but I hope that someone has had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction.

Problem: I've just rec'd the next shipment of insulin destined for my 87 year old mother. It is still sealed in its shipping container with cold packs. She has already paid her share of the fees and her insurance covered the rest. This quantity of insulin would last her approx 80 days, maybe a little longer. However, she has just been hospitalized and her need for this insulin could come to a sudden end.

Question: I don't want to ponder the complexities of returning the insulin and recovering the fee she paid. But I don't want to just throw it away. There must be dozens if not hundreds of people in my county who are stuck in the "doughnut-hole" who would welcome this. Am I allowed to donate it, or is there another useful (not illegal) alternative?

TIA

While I hope for her speedy recovery, once a prescription med is in the hands of the patient, no pharmacy wants it back for resale. They will take it back for proper disposal, however, should you end up needing to do that.

I would recommend a phone call to the folks who sent it to her. They can give you the best advice.

Here’s hoping she gets better soon!

Some places have a place where you can dispose of prescriptions I don’t know if you could put stuff like that in there. I too would hate to waste it but since it is are already in your possession I don’t think their is much you can do with it unless you send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back