Media question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic media is preferred due to the size of the fiber. Glass is used but what other material can be or are used for filter material. Everything has an up and a down side and I guess glass does too. Are there options in nano materials for filter media for gas car oil filters?

While eveyone will repeatthe marketing claims and specs the real question should be will we ever realize the difference in the material of the filter elements? I have seen many 300,000 + mile vehicles running jiffy lube oil and filters.

Originally Posted by CT8
While eveyone will repeatthe marketing claims and specs the real question should be will we ever realize the difference in the material of the filter elements? I have seen many 300,000 + mile vehicles running jiffy lube oil and filters.

18.gif

Originally Posted by Bill_W
Synthetic media is preferred due to the size of the fiber. Glass is used but what other material can be or are used for filter material. Everything has an up and a down side and I guess glass does too. Are there options in nano materials for filter media for gas car oil filters?

Can we expand the question and ask why did we decide to start with cellulose media firstly?

It would seem to me that in oil filters, given that it is oil we are filtering, who thought is was a good idea to have paper filter it? I am happy that we have moved on to better media as well, and I like Bill_W's question!

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by CT8

18.gif

Add this ... lol.

broken record.jpg

Originally Posted by Dad2leia

Can we expand the question and ask why did we decide to start with cellulose media firstly?

It would seem to me that in oil filters, given that it is oil we are filtering, who thought is was a good idea to have paper filter it? I am happy that we have moved on to better media as well, and I like Bill_W's question!

Advancement of technology. Look at when the first oil filters were being invented and made. Technology always progresses with time, oil filters are not immune.

The Stratapore link talks about single strand polymer fibers that are better than glass.

Last edited:

Various types of paper have been used for filtration in labs since long before the first internal combustion engine. I would suggest that people experimented with filtering with what has always been used for filtering.

You've never seen oil or fuel filters that looked like a spool wound with cotton string?

Originally Posted by Linctex

You've never seen oil or fuel filters that looked like a spool wound with cotton string?

Not a normal full flow oil filter, but a whole house water filtration system yes. Too bad it would clog up too fast for normal engine oil filter use...

Synthetics weren't invented that long ago, no plastics in the old days either. Wood is one of the best filters. Plants filter molecules and roots in soil transport filtered water to the leaves. No man made material can top that. So people noticed this and invented cellulose filters. What else did they have, wool? Wool is expensive and requires too many sheep to care for, but dead plant material is abundant and cheap.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Wood is one of the best filters. Plants filter molecules and roots in soil transport filtered water to the leaves. No man made material can top that. So people noticed this and invented cellulose filters. What else did they have, wool? Wool is expensive and requires too many sheep to care for, but dead plant material is abundant and cheap.

Lmao! So you think that a processed paper filter media is functionally equivalent to the transpiration cycle in plants?

Sometimes the stuff that is made up on here to justify an agenda is just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back