Mecredes bi/xenon headlamp bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 e350 p1 package driver side headlight not working I have already replaced the bulb 2 months ago. later it stop working now and it said low beam not working also low/high not working on the driver side. Are they any fuses for headlight? I can't find it. I did swap out the bulb with the new one and still didn't work. Driver side headlight has water inside the housing and passenger is fine no issue.

If I need to buy the headlamp then does it come with the control module and etcs..

Thinking of buying this: but I have some question and they not answering the called so I'm afraid if they take my money.

https://www.mobbmotorsports.com/product-p/xtn-hl-9603.htm

I can't speak for Mercedes, but a lot of Ford lamps come "decontented." Which indicates it is just the housing and all other components are to be transferred from the original or replaced as necessary.

Rockauto also sells them and you can use the 5% off code on them.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6079953&cc=1447589&jsn=440

You should probably do a bit more research on it. EPC will give you the exact part number for your VIN. Rockauto also lists a light without cornering lights in the $200 range, but I think all the bixenons had active cornering illumination. There's also used parts on eBay. You should probably get a scanner and get the exact error codes and post in the MB forums. There's a couple people there who are really good at diagnostics and I suspect a few of them work at the MB dealers.

On the W211, sometimes it was just the ballast that went bad, but I don't know about the W212, never had mine go bad yet and it's somewhat rare. Haven't seen any mention of a ballast on a W212.

Rohan, the link you posted seems to describe a complete new headlamp assy with some type of bulb system. All they state is its a projector headlamp, not any type of xenon, or H.I.D. gas filled bulb. Projector headlamps usually get poor reviews.

Fuse boxes, 2 under hood, one each side rear near fire wall. Other says its in the trunk. There is also a relay for the headlamp.

You also should have a headlight ballast and ignitor, without both of those working the bulb won't strike, or stay lit.

I would strongly suggest that you fix what you have, maybe drill a small drain hole 1/8 inch in the bottom of lamp to drain if needed, do it in the black un seen part of lamp, use a soldering iron to close the hole after you dry out the lamp.

Next, if you want to do some work without wasting money. Remove the front bumper if the fuses check good. Swap ignitors, then ballasts to figure out what part is bad. Those parts cost lot of money, so you will save if you figure out just what you need. I'm pretty sure you can't get the headlamps out with the front bumper cover on, but I could be wrong, I have never worked on an e350.

I vote swap the ballasts as well. A quick google search shows that vehicle as using D1S hid bulbs, which means the igniter is built into the bulb, aka the metal square on the end of it. Also, did you buy name brand bulbs or counterfeit/aftermarket? The counterfeit/cheap aftermarket (anything other than Philips, Osram, etc) don't seem to last nearly as long or have problems firing properly.

This is the light bulb I have on the car. Bought them 2 months ago. Remember I have already swapped the bulb with other one and they didn't work.

I don't have a code # but a scanner told me:
left control module defective

I need to buy the new headlamp due to water inside the housing and I need a headlamp that has this feature:

Xen = Xenon (a style of HID headlight)
AA = Auto Adjust (Auto-Level Headlight)
Curve = Headlights turn left and right as turning around a corner
Adaptive = Auto-Level and Auto-Curve Headlight

I have found the headlamp that's refurbished but they offer no warranty.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...10&pm=1&ds=0&t=1546476171436

So all I need is headlamp + control module. Right? Before I buy them I need to check the fuses.

I would not buy a headlamp off ebay, I have been burned too many times. No warranty? No buy!

You say you switched bulbs, did you switch, or swap ballasts?

The water you can evaporate, and reseal the lamp. The lamps are actually not completely sealed any way, they are vented.

Did some research for you, your ****'ed, The new control module does not seem to be all that expensive, but an MBZ tech has to program the new control module.

If it was my car, I would prefer to keep the OE Mercedes headlight system intact. I would fix it properly. Try an indy MBZ mechanic shop. Remove the front bumper yourself. Save some labor. "If the bumper needs to be removed"

This is where I got some of my quick information,

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/...ight_control_module_xenon?s=d&page=1

You should page konigstiger in the other forum, surprised no one answered you there.

It's too bad you have to have it coded, looks like the part can be as low as $100 for the control module. The fact that it needs to be coded may prevent you from swapping it from one side to the other to see if the problem follows it. Too bad the $150 off $300 just expired, you might have gotten off cheap at the dealer.

Also just an FYI, Autozone also sells the Hella light assembly, but they have a 20% off code which works on it and brings the price down to $583. I am not sure if the control module comes with the light assembly or not, you'd probably have to look it up in EPC. If you don't have a copy of it, it's well worth it to look up part numbers and also get a copy of the WIS at the same time to change out parts, eBay has them for around $10-$15.

I'm really confused about headlight assembly. How I know if mine is with night version or w/o night version?

I did called the mecredes dealerships:

1st dealers: told me he doesn't know if car came with the night version even though I gave him last 8 digits vin number.

2nd dealers: told me that my car didn't came with the night version. Gave me part numbers for headlight:

212-820-1139
212-820-1239

Can someone tell how I know if car is equipped with night version? I mean what they look like.

Yes front bumper need to be removed.

I did lookup on the mbdata( tell us what car came with) and I have 615 code for headlight assembly.

Last edited:
How is that a deal when you have to buy both for $1400? Sounds like you only need one side and Autozone sells the same Hella light for $583 after their coupon code.

Also the control module seems to be separate from the headlamp assembly so if you just need that, then you don't need the headlamp. There's one on eBay for $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merced...eadlight-Ballast-2129007804/352035667948

Night vision assist was a very rare option, you hardly ever see any car for sale with that option. The MB vin decoder would have told you if you had that option code.

https://www.datamb.com/

Last edited:
Hi wolf359

you are looking at was w/o cornering light and mine came with cornering light.

This is the correct one:
https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/headlight-assembly?aqs=4294962054~4294956284&searchText=Headlamp
$730 each side

Can someone confirm me how many fuses are they for headlight? Maybe I can check that before replacing the controls module.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rohan
Hi wolf359

you are looking at was w/o cornering light and mine came with cornering light.

This is the correct one:
https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/headlight-assembly?aqs=4294962054~4294956284&searchText=Headlamp
$730 each side

Can someone confirm me how many fuses are they for headlight? Maybe I can check that before replacing the controls module.

Yes, that's the $730 price I was talking about. The 20% coupon code works on it, brings it down to $583.

Coupon code for Autozone is at retailmenot.com. The current code is CHEERS20.

I'm sorry for taking you wrong. I'm thinking about just replacing the control module before replacing the headlamps. What you think? Don't control module tell headlight to come on? If that's the case then I'm just going to buy the control module.

Yes, that would make sense. How are you going to get it coded though? You might be able to swap it from left to right to see if the problem follows it and that would tell you it's the control module. At least that's what people did on the W211 where it was known as the ballast. Less problems or it's too new on the W212 so I don't know if that will work because now it needs to be coded and it didn't need to before on the W211. You could also check the wiring to make sure the connections are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back